In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a little help- 40sw

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
I loaded up a few 180gr Rainer Flat Nose bullets, used Power Pistol. Fire fine, action seems fine, but sometimes jams. The pistol is a FNP-40. Cases eject good but the next round doesn't seem to feed well. Do some autos not like the flat nose bullet. Would like some ideas. I fired the handgun 5 times had 2 jams. I am putting a slight taper crimp to help feed, but it feels like its the nose of the bullet is the problem.

Comments

• Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honestly its difficult to say. Sometimes even two of the same gun can cycle differently using the same ammo or reloads. You can check the OAL & see if the reloads are longer or shorter than a known type of ammo that feeds well. You can check to make sure the OAL is consistent in your reloads. Maybe some of them didnt seat as well etc. You can also buy some loaded similar ammo & see how it feeds. Use a different magazine. Compressed springs can cause jams. Check the guns extractor pin & spring.

Thats about all I can think of without seeing the gun in person.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I put some of the reloads in my hk p2000 and they went through very well, so double checking all loading data. Powder, oal, seating, crimp. Then I'll check the other mags, received 3 with gun. Maybe look at the gun a little more and the feed ramp.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    had the same trouble today with my 45s, the baby eagle didnt like the rounds but the 1911a1 did.

sometimes it is the other way around.

so far the XD eats everything
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if that is a light load and there is a heavier recoil spring in your FN that could cause a FTF. the gun will most likely still extract and eject the shell properly because that function happens closers to the front of the next round to be feed.

If the slide isn't traveling far enough to the end of its recoil cycle it won't pick up the next round fully. rather than hitting the next round fully in the back it kinda skips across it
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There may be easy solutions with this particular bullet; polishing feed ramp, tweeking load, etc., but my first suspicion would be the bullet contour itself. Get some round nosed bullets of same weight and try them with the same powder charge and OAL.
    If you still have the problem, then it's time to look more closely at springs and polished feed ramps, magazines, etc.
    If the problem goes away, you may just have found that your pistol doesn't like that particular bullet profile.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Clean all the preservative out of your 3 new mags.