In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie reloader

Moe1Moe1 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I am a shooter and sportsman who has had older friends reload ammo for me over the years (250-3000 and 300 Savage, 308, 45-70, etc.). These gentlemen have been retiring to Florida or dying lately, and I now would like to get into reloading myself. Most of their equipment has been grabbed by the kids (dicks) or sold on ebay by greedy relatives.

What is a good, cheap, entry-level reloader setup? I don't shoot hundreds of rounds a week, but I would like some expandability.

Help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have started reloading 308's for my SOCOM16 using Hornady 150 gr fmj/bt and Varget powder. I have been varing the powder half a grain, this time 45.5, 46 and 46.5 grains, last time 44.5, 45, and 45.5. Is this about the correct amount to vary. My book calls for 43 to 47 grains.

My first pound of powder is about gone, and I am wondering if a faster burning powder would work better in the 16" barrel.

Any suggestions welcome![8D]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moe,
    Sounds like your starting at a reasonable level, and increasing by 1/2 to 1 grain seems appropriate. I load my .308 with Varget and like the powder for that round so I'll let someone else respond to the question of a faster powder.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find varget better suited to 165-175gr pills. I use .3gr increments instead of .5gr, but that is just me. If you want to stick with 150gr, you may have better luck with a slightly faster powder.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moe1,

You will benefit from using a slightly faster powder such a IMR-3031 when using 147 to 150 gr. bullets. All of this powder will burn in your shorter barrel. Start low and work your way up watching for signs of pressure. You should be able to get a full case with this powder and good, consistent velocities. I use 0.3 grain intervals when working with cases having this capacity.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the advise!