In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Competition Shooting Rifles

Me and a guy at work were talking about rifles and were wondering what the best action was for competition shooting? I'm a big fan of the Winchester Model 70 Classic action rifle, Controlled Round Feed in other words. Having mainly hunted all my life I've gotten really interested in long range shooting accuracy recently. Seems like Push Round Feed is more common in any type of competition/target rifle. Am I wrong in my assumption? If it is, then why? What's the difference in actions?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    simple,..the CRF action HAS TO feed the round from a magazine in order to get the rim of the case behind the extractor. Benchrest actions are stiffer due to NOT having a magazine cut-out in the stock with a follower glued in place (rem 700 etc). Nobode feeds from the magazine at a benchrest match, since we long seat bullets to make use of the long throated chambers cut for VLD style bullets, thus maximizing powder capacity.

The #1 most widely used, non custom, action is the remington 700.

Trying to single feed a round in a CRF action makes the extractor have to "snap over" the rim when the case makes it into the chamber. That causes the round to "cock" sideways slightly and creates runout as the bullet is forced against one side of the leade, which creates the runout. Runout shows up at longer ranges. Also, when feeding by hand, the action has to be slick and fast to chamber a round so that a shot can be taken before the wind flags change, indicating a change in wind conditions. Most groups are fired in a quick succession before wind changes.

CRF actions are simply not suited to benchrest applications.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly! Mauser actions, must feed from the mag. Push feed is better with the possible exception of a dangerous game rifle.
    JM
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not everybody shoots off a bench.

If you are shooting NRA Highpower "across the course" you must have a repeater and although the controlled feed of a M70 is not a major asset, it doesn't hurt anything and the care and feeding of the gun is well known. There are still some number of Winchester M70 National Match rifles out there, many just the action in new stocks with new barrels.
  • .257roberts.257roberts Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Thanks for Your Answers! My wife may not care for your responses, especially if I buy another toy. Thanks again, Robert