In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading for the 38-55...............beware of.....

bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some rifles have a very snug chamber. Case in point is my Daly "Little Sharps". Bullets for this caliber can be anywhere from .375 to .381. The jacketed bullets seem to be .375. Lead bullets from .376 on up. Anyway I tried loading .378's I got from Midway (only one's they had in stock) and they would not chamber. Sized brass chambered just fine before seating a bullet. The bullets actually measured about .379 at the gas check. To shorten my story, I had to pull the bullets from the loaded rounds and start over. Thankfully I only loaded 20 for a start. Grr![:(!] I won't be shooting it this week.
JM[V]

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    try some starline brass, it's supposed to be 'thinner' so you can use the proper bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester invented the caliber, their brass ought to work. Unfortunately the don't sell a bullet to go with their brass. Some suggest using 375 Win brass. Since it is supposed to be stronger it is probably thicker. That would make the problem worse. I'll try Starline next time I get some brass.
    JM[:)]
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    bgjohn, load one of your cases with a 375 jacketed bullet with no powder or primer and try to chamber it, the little sharps may have a tight neck and the 379 dia. bullets may be to large for it. in fact i would sooner have a tight neck. the 375 win brass has a thicker web, thats where the added strenth is. eastbank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have any .375's. I'm not likely to get any. They cost about 80 cents each. At that rate a loaded round would cost about a buck. That's too much for just farting around plinking.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bgjohn, try taking the decapping rod out of the size die, lightly lube the loaded round with the over size lead bullet and size the round, it may size the neck enought to fit it your rifle. if you will send me your address i will send you several 375 bullets to try. i think i have a partial box. most new guns have a bore closer to 375 than 379. eastbank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried that but it could not size a loaded round. It just got jammed in the die and the brass pulled apart and I had to drive the upper part out. I'm sure .375's would work but I want to load/shoot the cheaper lead bullets. I have a bullet company sending me some smaller diameter bullets. Thanks for the offer.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you slugged the barrel for groove diameter?

There are a fair number of .38-55s, old and new, with barrels up to .380" but chambers too tight for bullets larger than .376" or so. If that is what you have, it might not shoot well with bullets you can chamber. There is a cottage industry in CAS of gunsmiths correcting the chambers. Marlin will even do it on warranty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Have you slugged the barrel for groove diameter?

There are a fair number of .38-55s, old and new, with barrels up to .380" but chambers too tight for bullets larger than .376" or so. If that is what you have, it might not shoot well with bullets you can chamber. There is a cottage industry in CAS of gunsmiths correcting the chambers. Marlin will even do it on warranty.

Nope have not slugged the barrel. I assume the Italians know what they are doing. It's probably just a snug chamber. I found some Hornady .375's (220gr) at a more reasonable price. Loaded up 20 of them and they chamber nicely. Next chance to shoot the new gun will be next Sunday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might be a rash assumption.

Uberti catalogs their .38-55 at .379"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might be a rash assumption.

Uberti catalogs their .38-55 at .379"

This was made by Chiappa.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And they aren't talking. Good luck.
  • Options
    38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What length brass are you using?I have a winchester 94 trails end in 38/55. If you use the longer 38/55(2.130) brass in it you get keyholes and patterns instead of groups, along with tight chambering.That was with winchester ammo (20 year old)or reloads.The newer 2.080 brass has to be used in it.Groups are around 1 inch at 50 yards, chambering problems have gone away.I hope that info might help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The shorter stuff, new Winchester brass. It looks like I'll have to use jacketed .375 bullets.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it may be time to start casting your own bullets ,order a 376 or a 377 mold and have at it.eastbank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mt Baldy has a .376" 250 gr from Lyman mould.
    http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/asp/products.asp

Montana Bullet Works has a wide variety of bullets, your choice in diameter from .375" to whatever the mold delivers.
    http://www.montanabulletworks.com/default.php

I have not tried either... yet. But I am going to buy some at .379" so as to not spend the Summer over a hot lead pot.

Jacketed bullets in even a repro Sharps just ain't right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got a box of Black Hills 38-55 ammo. It chambers just fine. It uses Starline brass. I'll sight it in on Sunday.
  • Options
    gl1200gl1200 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question-what makes a good case filler when using unique in the 38-55. Been usinf toilet paper but there must be something better.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    try trail boss, no filler needed. eastbank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    try some starline brass, it's supposed to be 'thinner' so you can use the proper bullets.

Righto! Starline brass works fine using .377 cast bullets. It chambers easily in the tight chamber of my Chas. Daly "Little Sharps". These bullets would not chamber using Winchester brass. I have to use .375 bullets with Winchester brass. Thanks for the tip.
    JM[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What sort of accuracy are you getting with which?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What sort of accuracy are you getting with which?

I don't know as yet I'm still farting around with different loads. So far it looks like an inch at 50 yards. With Hornady 220 gr .375 jacketed bullets.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bottom line is:
    Using Winchester brass use .375 bullets.
    Using Star-Line brass I can use .375,.376 or .377 cast lead bullets.
    JM