In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Affordable Recreational Rifle?

Rusty7XRusty7X Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a bolt-action rifle for recreational shooting is relatively inexpensive. Any ideas? My friends have recommended a Remington or Savage Arms. Also, what caliber would you recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would get a 22 LR. Get a Savage MK II heavy barrel with the Accu-trigger. Cost under $250.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Pearyw. You will want a 22 Long Rifle because it will the the cheapest on ammo. I'll be getting the same rifle Pearyw suggested for myself shortly. I haven't seen any used ones on the auction side lately so people who are buying them must be keeping them.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I got a Savage 93fv in 22wmr last year. With a better scope (I have a $20 3-9x on it) it could certainly be a tack driver. Saw a guy at the range that has the same rifle in 17hmr, he was getting 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards with it. He had a "decent" 4-12x scope on his.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    savage stevens model 200 in .223
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    savage stevens model 200 in .223

Good choice for a Centerfire.

Also look at a CZ training rifle in 22lr.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.