In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reccomendations for a shotshell press?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
So far I've gotten 2 positive replies about the Lee keyed slugs. The problem is, I only load for rifle and handgun.

What would be a good inexpensive shotshell press to reload these keyed slugs?

Loading the slugs is probably all I will use it for. I do not shoot trap and the skeet I shoot is limited. I buy factory buckshot.

Any info much appreciated. Don

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look for a used MEC, or Lee Load All. NAZebay has a few for sale.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for MEC. The 600JR is a great little loader and I have loaded several thousand on mine and got it well used.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting trap (a lot) get a Pacific (Hornady) progressive press. If you are just loading enough for hunting get the MEC.
    JM
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the mec, I've got both, and the Lee lacks wad pressure adjustments.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grizzclaw
    Go with the mec, I've got both, and the Lee lacks wad pressure adjustments.

I have a Lee load all II for $50 bucks it will do what you want for $100 the mec will do want you want and then some

I have three Lee, Mec600, and Hornady 366, all have there uses

for a beginner the Lee definitely was the way to go

I won the mec at a trap shoot and it had a learning curve but once learned it was a breeze to use

my volume was such a progressive was needed and I am still learning the 366 but it loads 3 times the shells in an hr that i could on the mec and 5-6 times what i could do on the LEE

as for the lee not having adjustment placing a simple washer(s) under the shells at stations 3 and 5 will give you all the adjustment you want. [;)]
    edited November -1
    The Lee is a waste of time and money. and you can find them for $20 bucks. You can find a good used Mec for less than $50.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. I still have questions.

Is it OK to cast the sabots out of old wheel weights or should I buy the lead billets?

Are the Lee melting pots any good?

Can I use low brass shells to reload these sabots?

Any particular wad I should use?

As you can tell, I'm new at shotshell reloading.

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I like wheel weights, as slugs they flatten out well. The pots are great for casting, but make sure that you keep your mold hot. I use the Winchester AA hulls. If you buy a lee slug mold the load info will be included. I have the 1oz mold and use a Win 1oz wad with 36 gr of HS-6. I would like to try the 7/8 oz mold someday for more velocity.
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cast a large coffee can full of the Lee 1 oz. slugs in an afternoon last summer. USE PURE LEAD! The wheelweights will cause the slug to grip the key part and then they are a B**** to get off; prying or melting is the only way. I easily cast 3-4 per minute when the mould is hot, and you can really empty a 20# pot in a hurry. I made so many I gave the owner of the mould a small coffee can full for the use of the mould. I use the AA hull and Herco powder for the A5, and AA#5 for the 1100. Blue Dot will really spit them out the muzzle, but every gun has it's preferences, so you'll have to try several loads to see what your barrel prefers. I have 3 MEC presses, and they are the best for the money; easy to use, and parts are everywhere.