In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP COL

ksredksred Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I've been reloading 45's for a while now for my Taurus PT145. I just bought a new XD-45 and pulled the barrel out to check the cartridge overall length in it. All my reloads and WWB factory ammo have the bullets contacting the rifling. Won't this cause excess pressure? I can reseat the bullets on my relaods deeper, but it surprised me the the factory WWB was too long. Any opinions?

My reloads are an overall length of 1.250" with a Hornady 230 gr. FMJ-RN. The WWB has an overall length of 1.265"

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO in the 1911 type pistols if you drop a loaded cartridge in the clean chamber of a barrel it should under it's own weight drop so that the head of the case is flush or slightly deeper to the end of the hood of the barrel . It sounds like you are a step up on most pistol owners in checking out your new pistol and if the XD-45 has a normal 1911 type barrel then it seems like you have a slightly short chamber I don't think the pressure will be raised to an unsafe point but if this is your CARRY GUN then I would only carry it with the brand of ammo that fits your chamber.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visually inspect fired primers for signs of being over pressure. Compare the radius of the primer cup to an unfired round. Look for excessive flattening and stop immediately if you see a primer that has been pierced by the firing pin.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    The bullet may not be touching the rifling, sometimes the extractor
    claw holds back the catridge.