In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-243

dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
I have never seen one but heard stories. Must be wildcat, sounds awesome. If someone had a shot-out throat in a 22-250 could be rechamber to 22-243 and not even have to set the barrel back? Good for well over 4000 fps with 55 gr. bullets???

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 22BR does just about the same with a lot less powder and hassle.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough added length in the .243 case to allow a simple rechamber. You'd have to set the barrel back a bit anyway. My 2 cents, ?
    I'd stick with the .22-250, or if you really wanted a wildcat, a 22-250 improved.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dtknowles,

How do you know the throat is 'shot out'? The only way to really determine the condition of the throat is to look at it through a borescope.

My guess is that you have a varmint barrel with a 1:14" twist which will support the use of 55 gr. bullets.

It won't matter though because even with the longer chamber of the 22-243, the reamer will likely NOT clean up the throat damage from the 22-250 Rem.

It also won't make much difference because the 22-243 needs a longer barrel in order to use up the amount of powder in this cartridge case. Light bullets in large capacity cases need longer barrels. Now if you chose a moderate length barrel you could get a faster twist and use heavier (longer) bullets and maybe have a better balance. It's all about the balance between case capacity/bullet (length) weight/barrel length.

Check the barrel with a borescope first. If there's enough good barrel left, set the barrel back and try the 22-250 Rem. again or cut the threads off completely if there is enough proper diameter left for a new tenon and re-thread in order to cut a different chamber. If the throat is gone for a significant distance, throw the barrel away and get a good barrel fitted.

Best.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I have a 22/6MM. 26 inch barrel. Was wanting 3600 feet per second with the 80 grain bullet.

Can get it..one shot per case. then the primer falls out. ENTIRELY too hot. These improved rounds are VERY tricky to even guess at pressure signs..and you can get too hot real quick.

Lots of work to make up cases.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, looks like maybe 22-243 might not have enough going for it to be worth the trouble
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dtknowles,

The .22-243 or the Ackley Improved version have a lot going for them, just not in this particular situation as you describe it. It would be a waste to re-chamber your 22-250 barrel for the reasons noted:

The new chamber probably won't clean up the throat that you suspect is burned out.

The twist rate is too slow to use the longer, heavier bullets that a cartridge with this capacity is suited to use.

243ai243winyk8.png
    .22-243 Ackley Improved_.243 Win.

I'm shooting a .22-243 AI in a 28" barrel with a 1:10" twist that handles the 75 gr. AMAX with extreme accuracy out to 1,000 yards. My accuracy load is slightly compressed Re-25 with the AMAX seated to just touch the lands. I made a set of arbor press dies to convert the cases then I made a set of inline dies for sizing and seating. The cases above are mine and the Ackley has 6 reloads on it as of today. They are standard Winchester cases and I use Federal 210M primers.

Best.