In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Having trouble shooting my pistol

I got a new pistol and am having all kinds of trouble shooting it.

I can not shoot consistantly in the center of the target.

Alot (most) of my shots are low right I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I haven't shot a pistol in a very long time. Any suggestions? I am very discouraged[:(]

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I know you referred to this a pistol but it would help if we knew what type of pistol you're shooting. Is it a semi-auto, revolver or a specialty handgun? Are you holding it with both hands, one hand, offhand or are you leaning against something for support? What grip are you using, what stance? Help us out here.

Best.

ADDED: take a look at this list of errors along with the chart:

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Pistol Wheel.htm

Best.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry. I am shooting a semi-auto .40 s&w Stoeger Cougar I am using a two handed grip and not leaning on anything. shooting off hand my stance is pretty much square my feet are pretty straight across as far as grip I am holding the gun in my right hand and bracing with my left with my left index finger on the front of the trigger gaurd.
    Thanks
    Chet
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello if you are left handed and this is a fairly large bore pistol you will find that a grouping that is low right will come from the shooter m trying to make the shot good will move the trigger too fast "JERKING " the trigger will cause your whole hand to dip and move to the side away from the palm of your hand. My suggestion is to buy some SNAP CAPS and load in the magazine mixed with live rounds with a semi auto pistol or leave 2 or more chambers empty if a revolver. Now fire the gun and when you get to the empty chamber or the snap cap watch the sights very closely they should NOT move in sight alignment when the trigger is pulled properly. DRY firing is a good way to train but then you have to treat every live round like it will be a dry fire shot Hard to do but practice will help.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    perry shooter, I am right handed but from looking at the information that Nononsense posted it would seem that I am tightening my grip when I am firing the round.

I need all of the help I can get so I will try your suggestion with the snap caps.

I am just about as frustrated as can be. I used to shooy fairly well with a handgun and now I SUCK
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Remember, some guns just don't shoot well at all no matter what you do.
    I borrowed a friends' Glock in .40 to see if I wanted one.
    I took it to the range, rested it upon a nice, solid sandbag, and proceeded to throw about 250 rounds downrange that never hit the target at a piddling 50 yards.
    After an hour of blasting away, I picked up my Sig2340 and ran a dozen rounds double-tap style.
    Those were the only holes in the target.
    I let 4 other people shoot this Glock, including one of the Rangemasters and only 1 guy got a hit at 50yds.
    When I took it back, I asked my friend what range his laser-beam-accurate pistol shot so well at.
    He replied that he practiced at 15'!
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concentrate on the front sight. The target will be a bit blurry, but your sight picture will be clear, unless you are one of a few people with exceptional eyes that can keep it all in focus.[xx(]
  • Options
    EGLOCK35EGLOCK35 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your groups may depend on how much finger you put on the trigger. Too much or too litlle finger changes my point of impact. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]109.gif

this might help i saw it on here.