In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm reloading problem

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

using lee dies. the die that bells the case only allows a belling of .003". normal? not able to reload lead bullets because the case "shaves" the side of the bullet. suggestion? thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee makes a "Universal Case Expanding Die" that
    handles all calibers from 22 to 45, both rifle and pistol.
    Lee part # 90798.
    You can put as much "bell" in the case mouth as you want.
    Mine works fine.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you have already done this, but did you check that the dia. of the bullet is .355".

I have seen some .38's (.357" dia.) that were sold as 9mm's. Also make sure you are feeding the bullet in straight.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    It sounds like misadjustment. Take that die apart, and put the expander piece into a sized case, and look closely. If it can be pushed all the way in by hand, then you have a die problem, if it looks like it will open up the case more, then you have to adjust something more. Make sure you are using a 9mm die set, and not a 38 super or special die set.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not normal. Please be sure you are understanding the directions correctly. You should be able to bell the case enough to ruin it, if you are not careful.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Not normal. Please be sure you are understanding the directions correctly. You should be able to bell the case enough to ruin it, if you are not careful.
    yep. thats called learning the hard way[;)]