In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi Rifle-243. Is rate of twist too slow?

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
I'm on a very limited budget and want to get two rifles for my stepdaughter and wife for the upcoming Pennsylvania. I was at Gander Mountain today and they have the Rossi single shot in 243 for 149.99. I read the previous posts and am not expecting anything other than a rifle that will kill a deer up to 100 yards, fit and finish mean nothing to me, just acceptable accuracy. I reload 243 for my son's Savage and want to reload 243 deer bullets for the gals this fall. It seems to me I read somewhere that the Rossi's published rate of twist, 1 in 10 inches, was not good for 90-100 grain bullets. Am I right or wrong? Does anyone have shooting experience with these guns? It would be a dream to be able to afford two rifles for the price of one and be able to reload for them to boot! If that rate of twist is no good for deer bullets I won't buy the guns. Any and all thoughts are always appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy it and see what it likes.

That 1:10 twist should handle an 85 - 95gr bullet pretty well.

Federal has two factory hunting loads that would be perfect. The 85gr Sierra Gameking and the 85gr Barnes X bullet.

Both of these loads would perform very well on deer.

You may find that your accuracy with a 100 Partition(factory Federal load) at 100yds would be sufficient enough to do the job.

If handloading, Nosler offers their Partition in 90 and 95gr weights as well.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAMMI SPECS call for a 10 twist.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAAMI SPECS 243=10 TWIST
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady makes an 87 gr. soft point. Don't see why that wouldn't work.