In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone here Swage their own bullets?

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
I have been searching the net from swaged match grade bullets

I have found a few suppliers and a lot of equipment manufacturer's

notably the Corbin stuff looks promising

anyone one here do this

pros cons

thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I would suspect that the price you would pay to buy the right size lead WIRE it alone would cost you more then what you can buy bullets for. Remember at least for today you can ship in USPS FLAT RATE BOX at least 2000 rounds of 200 grain bullets for $10.00 I know there are some good swaged bullets to be had on the west coast I will try to find my notes.You might want to post the question on the BULLS-EYE lava list.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave Corbin makes a good product. RCE another company making top notch stuff is ran by his brother. Either company will set you up at a fair price and teach you what you need to know to do it right. Another site, www.castboolits.gunloads.com has a forum dedicated to swaging you might want to check it out too.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've been tempted. But in balance, I think that it's more trouble than it is worth.

Casting on the other hand is another story.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I've been tempted. But in balance, I think that it's more trouble than it is worth.

Casting on the other hand is another story.

I have been told cast bullets aren't consistent enough for the likes of bullseye shooters they swear by swaged bullets.

I have been asked to gather info on bullet manuf. and suppliers. since star bullet went out of business we have been running out of bullets

I have some good leads as to were to find replacement bullets (thanks perryshooter) I am also looking into the cost of buying and setting up a swager at the club that members could use to make bullets as needed.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello cast bullets are only as good as the person/machine that cast them . I have been testing 45ACP loads for years with many pistols and many different loads with both Chrongraph and Ransom Rest. The best cast bullets will shoot with the best Swaged bullets just finding a good supply of good cast bullets is a problem . You Have Mail "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got into bullet swaging back in the 90's whenit looked like clinton was going to ban any bullet which could penatrate a class II vest. This would mean that all rifle bullets. Since the recent Ruling bu the Supreme Court, this may again be the way the liberals will get our guns, by restricting the ammunition for them.

Picture134.jpg
    Picture136.jpg
    Picture144.jpg
    Picture146.jpg
    [img][/img]Picture145.jpg
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks interesting. Just curious how is the cost comparison between new bullets versus swagging?? Material only I am sure it takes a little time, But heck that's half of the fun.

Cheers, Fish
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got into swaging bulets not because of the cost aspect, but because it looked like Clinton was going to ban Bullets, Something they still may try now that the Supreme Court has ruled on the DC handgun Ban
  • dardascastbulletsdardascastbullets Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello cast bullets are only as good as the person/machine that cast them . I have been testing 45ACP loads for years with many pistols and many different loads with both Chrongraph and Ransom Rest. The best cast bullets will shoot with the best Swaged bullets just finding a good supply of good cast bullets is a problem . You Have Mail "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"

Amen to that Perry Shooter! Cast bullets have typically received a bad rap due to the ignorance of the caster in regards to poor quality. If you find a caster that is very particular about the quality of their bullets then best to keep them close to you!

Matt