In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm oal problem/ fail 2 feed

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;
just started loading for the 9mm. got some advice from someone that sells reloading supplies. he told me to load the cases as long as possible, as long as they feed through magazine. which i did.

in my p6 sig i had some failure to feed. hit the back (using the heel of my hand) of the slide and then the round would feed and fire. had an idea the recoil spring was weak.

just for the heck of it, removed the barrel and dropped a loaded case into the barrel and discovered some cases would not drop complete into the barrel. not all reloads had the same oal. also there were different styles of bullets.

think i got bad info. is the correct way to determine best oal for the 9mm is to keep seating the bullet deeper until the case drops complete into the barrel???? thanks for any input..

rp

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different styles of bullets and same styles from different Mfgr's will also cause this. Stick with one style and brand, make sure the case is taper crimped AT LEAST enough to return the flare to straight and preferably 2 thousands smaller.Follow the books reccomended OAL, remembering that this is minimum. You can experiment later. Get back to us, we can help.
  • Options
    rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    having to seat remington 124gr. 9mm truncated bullets to a oal of 1.072". got this length by removing the barrel from pistol. started seating the bullet until the base of the case became flush with the rear of the barrel. is this a good way to determine oal.??

rp
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That works if you don't have a case length guage. Just make sure your powder charge is not too much to cause a high the pressure to be too high with the bullet seated deeper. A lot of people use the barrel when loading for the guage. If factory rounds feed OK, use their length for a guide to seating yours.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am having the same problem with my sig p6.125gr laser cast trunicated cone bullets have to be seated to 1.10 to feed in my gun. it is hard to compare it to factory ammo since just about all factory 9mm is roundball. i have been loading 6.5 grs of hs-6 behind these 125gr laser cast bullets.seems to be a almost compressed load.i have fired 20rds using this combo and everything seems fine except the primers are a little flat.