In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on MR 2300 smokeless powder???

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
Please help! I am looking for any info I can aquire on a smokeless powder MR 2300. I was given a few boxes of handload ammo by my father for my 222Rem. as he has one as well but doesn't shoot anymore. I know that it was handloaded by a friend of the family many years ago and shoots great in both dad's 340D and my 340E. I would like to ask the tailor of this ammo but he paased on a couple of years ago so now I am stuck in the dark. The recipe Lonnie had was a 50gr Hornady SXSP in a W-W case, Win SR primer on top of 23gr of MR 2300. That is the big mystery for me! I have not been able to find any powder on the internet(old or new) refered to as MR 2300. I don't know where else to look and I'm almost begging for help. Any and all info would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly the MR you are seeing is a faded or abbreviated version of IMR which means Improved Military Rifle. MR (Military Rifle?) may have been a surplus or data powder available when these were loaded. How old are these rounds?I have looked in the oldest manuals that I have for a reference to 2300 but come up empty. However the IMR data of 23.0 gr is a valid load for 3031, 4064 and 4895 IMR. Still digging, standby.

Just C, Karl, what say you?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jtmarine0831,

I answered this on the 'Ask the Experts' forum. It's not an IMR powder.

Best.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I still have a 2lb. "MILK JUG" of MR-223 powder. It is made by Accurate Arms Co. It is the same as ACC-2230 that is available now.
  • Options
    2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I answered this on ask the experts but im not a expert.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 2-blade
    I answered this on ask the experts but im not a expert.

No worries 2-blade! I was pretty sure I was going to have to start from scratch and work this load, I do anyways for safety, but I was just trying to find out what MR2300 powder was and where it came from because I had never heard of it before. Any info is helpful and as some other people are I am just a "blackhole" when it comes to information anyway. Whether or not it is useful to me, if I am interested in it I try to find out what ever I can about it.
  • Options
    2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the MR stands for military rifle-it is a military surplus powder.also called WC844.the domestic version is H335. MR2300&MR223 were chepepep.and I used alot of it.but it is the same as H335.