In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45/70 Government Load

Looking for a good load for the 45/70 using a hornady 300gr hp. Trying to come up with a little lighter load for the wife to shoot during deer season. The leverevolutions are pretty rough on her out of the handi rifle. Especially since i had to get the stock cut to a 11.5 LOP for her to be able to shoot it. any info would be apprec. and tested at my own discretion and risk.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    redsimms257r,

This is the section from Accurate Arms Powder website:

45-70 Gov't

I realize that this is probably a secondary interest but the Hand-Rifles are known to be very bad for recoil from any cartridge let alone something like the 45-70. They are not designed for recoil management. Rather than penalizing your wife with this rifle she will be far better served by buying or borrowing a good bolt action rifle that is fitted to her and chambered in a mild cartridge. There is nothing worse for a small framed shooter than a rifle/cartridge combination that punishes them every time they pull the trigger.

I can imagine your response as being that this is what you can afford and that's why I suggested borrowing something if possible. That's hard too when it comes to someone with s shorter stature. I'm just trying to think of your wife's comfort.

Best.
  • Options
    redsimms257rredsimms257r Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. My wife has a collection of rifles that she shoots. The handi in 45/70 was bought for her to hunt our primitive weapon season here in Mississippi. She wanted it and has not complained much but i thought i might try and ease it up a little. She did get to kill one with it last year so i know the possability of getting her to try something else is totally out of the picture now. I have tried some of the book loads and they are all designed around the "better" rifles and havent performed as well as the hornady rounds. But at 36.00 a box she either isnt getting much practice or going to find something else to shoot. Anyway thanks for the input.
    redsimms
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Try using TrailBoss, 14-16.5 grs and your 300gr bullet, should realy help with the recoil, and still get the job done. Travels about 1,200 fps, got it out of IMR book.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks will look it over.
  • Options
    Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My "light plinker" is the Lyman 330gr 457122HP (also cauld the "Gould". It is a (the?) Traditional .45-70 bullet.

I shoot it over 21gr (Lee 1.6cc dipper) Alliant 2400 to about 1300fps. (max 28gr)

Nice thing about 2400 is that it spikes early just like BP so it obturates any undersized bullets nicely... Just be careful not to double charge.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get her a .243, she will love you for it. I have a 12# 45-70 rifle that kicks harder than I like.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    she cant shoot the 243 in our primitive weapon season. she shoots a 7mm08 and a 257r in regular season the 45/70 is only for the primitive season in mississippi.
  • Options
    458winshooter458winshooter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Hornady #5 manual states a starting load of 31.6 grs. of Reloader #7 for about 1300fps.This will get the job done at ranges of 125 yards or less and shouldn't be to bad on the shoulder.Consider also a shoulder protector ,that will help out to.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 26.2 gr SR 4759/300 gr FNGC bullet in my Encore.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redsimms257r
    she cant shoot the 243 in our primitive weapon season. she shoots a 7mm08 and a 257r in regular season the 45/70 is only for the primitive season in mississippi.

You might try a 38/55 shooting 220gr bullets. Recoil is not bad at all.
    JM[8D]
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try 57 grains of H-335. It should be light enough for her to deal with.

I would also get her a Past recoil pad so she doesn't get a sore shoulder even if the recoil is bad from the shortened stock.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_35496____SearchResults