In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 110 trigger adjustment

How does the trigger adjust on these rifles?

I just got one in .270 and the trigger pull is over 5 pounds I would like to lighten it up to around 3

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

Read this first:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

If you decide that you can handle this on your own, do so at your risk.

The trigger (and its face that engages the sear) are sintered (made from powdered metal). This process results in a part that has a very hard, thin outer surface, yet is soft and ductile inside (both these properties are desirable). However, people that don't not know this may attempt to "stone" or polish this part, in an effort to "clean it up" and reduce friction.

This exposes the soft, underlying metal, which will cause this part to rapidly wear (and the soft underlying metal will have higher friction!

Best.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I adjusted the trigger on my 114 in 7mmRemMag in this manner. I did not stone anything. I never though of dry moly lube though. It lightened it up very nicely and still breaks clean, I was impressed! I had never messed with a trigger before so I admit I was a little nervous I was going to mess something up.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I think I will take it to a Gunsmith and let him do it

I adjust all of my Remigtons myself but I think I will leave this on to someone else
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've "adjusted" the Savage trigger a couple times to the point where they let go after a good jolt. Be carefull with that sear engagement or this can happen to you.