In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To Tumble, or Not To Tumble?

jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
I am new to reloading. Among the many components and practices here, I have found mixed input and research on whether is it necessary, or even best, to tumble fired brass prior to reloading. Do any of you have some input and advice here? And if you do tumble, how often is it necessary? Thank you in advance.

Jay
Houston, TX

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only load handgun and I tumble my brass after each firing, nickel cases every other time. Personal choice for me. I just like a nice "clean" finished product.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would you consider most tumblers as "created equal"? There are alot out there. Thanks.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Midway brand, 1292 "tumbler". it actually vibrates the cases. I have had it for 15yrs, and never a problem. What ever you end up getting, avoid overloading it. Its the only tumbler I have ever used, so I really can't point you towards a better or worse one. They all operate on pretty much the same principle.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only tumble when my brass looks like it needs it, personal preference. Depends how shiny you like your ammo. I use a RCBS tumbler, but many are good. I would not shy away from a Hornady or a Dillon if you use their stuff. If you plan on tumbling a lot, get a rotary seperator, you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Clean Brass saves wear and tear on both reloading equipment and gun chambers + it will help avoid some extraction problems and feed problems in semi auto Pistols . I for one vote yes on it is a good IDEA.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    when i first started reloading i did not use a tumbler (could not afford one)

i have 3 now, 1 tumbles and 2 vibrates the cases. i like the vibrate type better

Did resize some 223 that I did not tumble, they looked clean but were a little stiff resizing them.

all the other ones that were tumbled were easier
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    For neck sized rifle rounds I don't bother.

For everything else I tumble before sizing, then if using lube (on most things, but not carbide pistol dies) boil before reloading in soapy water to get the lube off.

Of course wait a day or two to load that brass so it isn't wet.

All that said for years I didn't tumble, just wiped off the excess lube and never had issues. It DOES scratch your dies over time though if you don't. Which doesn't really matter in terms of functionality for a while but just in turn scratches the brass making it hold dirt even more. Which gets in the gun chamber.

So however you do it, cleaning is a good thing...
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is a thin line. Brass that is "slick" and shiney doesn't grip the chamber wall as well as unpolished brass,..which relates to increased bolt thrust. David Tubbs suggests in his video that brass should only be "polished" every 5 rnds or so. I do it every 2-3 rnds but his theory makes sense. The clean brass makes the owner happy, not the target. I do however keep mine fairly shiny,..as do most Benchrest shooters. Your job in making the group doesn't revolve around shiny brass,..it is YOUR job to make the group.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think "Tumble it is". Awesome feedback. Thanks.
  • Options
    The DutchmanThe Dutchman Member Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading too. I bought the press last year, Zip Trim and tumbler this year. Cleaner cases are a preference for me.

quote:Originally posted by jsurvant
    I think "Tumble it is". Awesome feedback. Thanks.
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking about getting a tumbler and since I live fairly close to Cabela's in Ft Worth I frequent their store several time a year. Most of the stuff that has their brand name on it sells for a few bucks less than the other brands. I am looking at either the RCBS or the Cabela's tumbler... do any of you nave any comments pro or con.

Also what is the best media...corn cob or walnut shells...anything else better than these?
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    im looking for a tumbler.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby
    I'm thinking about getting a tumbler and since I live fairly close to Cabela's in Ft Worth I frequent their store several time a year. Most of the stuff that has their brand name on it sells for a few bucks less than the other brands. I am looking at either the RCBS or the Cabela's tumbler... do any of you nave any comments pro or con.

Also what is the best media...corn cob or walnut shells...anything else better than these?

For what it's worth, you can call Cabela's at 1-800-237-4444, give them the item number of their tumbler or any other cabelas branded item and ask them who made it. Might help you decide.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I justed started tumbling as a result of these responses to the post. I researched media at various sites. The general opinion I consistently found posted was that corn particles were small enough that it does not get stuck in primer or primer hole. So, I went with corn and it has treated me well. Is not very dusty as well.
  • Options
    uatubagoduatubagod Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am fortunate enough to live near a Harbor Frieght tools & picked up one of their tumblers when it was on sale awhile back for $39.99. Also got 25# of walnut media for another $25
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I polish my brass with a Lyman vibrating "tumbler".
    I'll admit to doing it for looks, but I seem to be able to spot tiny cracks and bulges easier when the brass is shiny.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Walnut media I have found to work best for cleaning really dirty parts and brass, it is great for knocking junk off.

Corn cob is better for getting inside cases, tight places, and leaves a more lusterous finish than walnut.

Both have there pros, but I have found that corn cob media is all that I need. It may take a little longer for extremely dirt brass, but it still does it's job.

I don't tumble my brass everytime, most of the time I just wipe fired brass down with a micro-fiber cloth and scrub the inside of the neck out with a plastic bristle brush, neck-size and go on. After I have fired it a few times I do tumble it to give the inside of the case a good cleaning and restore a little luster, but I don't care if it is the bright and shiny look it had when it was new.

JustC has a very good point as well.

As long as the outside of the case is clean to insure functionablity and reduce wear, it don't amout to a hill of beans whether it sparkles or not, IMHO.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Cabelas tumbler.

Love it!

No problems with over 1000 cases completed- at 50 at a time.

I've owned it for about 6 months.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do also have the cabelas tumbler and love it. I was one of those who thought what for. But after tumbling brass it does make the reloader much happier. It's like shotting brand new loads plus keeps your dies cleaner in the process. I will throw about 100 rounds in at a time. It's a great investment.