In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shooting times sept 2008

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Is it me or what....the "reloading editor" of shooting times mag on page 48 said "up until this hunt, I'd never had the opportunity to hunt with my handloads". ARE YOU KIDDING ME! He is a reloading editor of a major shooting magazine and he has never hunter with his loads? He goes on to say at 100 yards he wounded a first shot, missed a second shot and lung shot the third. Tell me again why he is writing about reloading and " teaching us" and not the other way around. His test loads were a whopping 80 shots (do not forget he is the reloading editor). Maybe the editor should spend more time loading, hunting, and shooting, and less time writing! HEY SHOOTING TIMES I WILL DO THE JOB FOR 1/2 OF WHAT HE GETS( just for the love of it not because I have a degree in writing)- and p.s. I have shots and cleanly one shot killed plenty with my reloads! Just my .02

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally know several people that do not hunt with their handloads! They buy commercial ammo. While it is true that you never want to use your own handloads in a carry gun, I can't imagine why someone would not hunt with their own loads. That adds to the satisfaction of the hunt in my book.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    b-17, I too know people that only hunt with factory, but they are not professional "reloading editors" for a major publication.
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now I'm doing some reloading for a new rifle. Just doing some load developement for it-just finished some new stuff a few minutes ago. Its never had a factory round shot through it and as long as I own this gun it probably never will. I've been doing this since the early 1970's and I can't ever remember having a round not go "BANG". But I still use a single stage set-up and I pay attention to every little aspect of it. I only have to reload 30-40 rounds per week so volume isn't a concern for me. Maybe I've been lucky. Dave
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with mine. That is kind of why I started reloading. Sounds like he has no confidence in his abilities??? as a hand loader.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While factory ammo is decent stuff, and fault noone using it exclusively for hunting, I haven't used factory for many, many years and feel quite comfortable with my reloads...Of course, I take the time to develope the right load for the firearm I am loading for and spend ample time at the range testing my loads. This reloading editior sounds to be more of a "flash in the pan" than someone of credible position.

CC
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I don't buy factory ammo, haven't for many years, except for 22, and I carry my own loads in my carry guns.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used reloaded ammunition which I had crafted carefully, inspecting, weighing and double-checking every step, for over 40 years, for practically all my hunting and varmint shooting. I have more confidence in my own ammunition for function, accuracy and effectiveness than almost any factory ammo. The only exceptions might be a couple rifles and calibers which really aren't used much, and don't justify the costs and set-up to reload; shotgun ammo in various shot sizes that are more easily purchased as loaded rounds (e.g. sabot slugs, tungsten and bismuth shot for waterfowl, heavy lead shot loads for turkeys, etc.); and I use only factory ammo for defensive carry purposes (possible liability issues). Most of my reloaded ammunition nowadays is for target shooting, where reliability, accuracy, and costs benefits all come into play.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with a contender, so 99% of what I shoot is wildcat round, so I guess I am better qualified then the writer :)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't remember the last animal I took with a factory load
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me neither.

CC
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to subscribe to Shooting Times. The reloading guy then was Rick Jamison-I believe that was his name. I thought he was very knowledgeable and I always read his articles. I can't believe he wouldn't hunt with his own ammo but apparently there's a new reloading editor there. He must not have any confidence in his ability. Dave
  • Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a factory round will never grace the lips of my rifles!!! for 45 years I've been reloading my own ammo, and only once have I made a bad batch, that was .45acp with red dot. I think I have better quality control then the big factories and my shot to kill ratio proves it to me. for my carry gun, factory ammo is called for cause you're goin to court, get used to it.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    You also have to remember that 95% of what the editors of major gun-rags use in the field is provided to them by manufacturers so that they can write about them later. That is probably why he has never used his reloads while hunting.

Just because he doesn't use his own while hunting doesn't mean that didn't want to. He probably just never got the opportunity to.

As for making a bad shot, it is a testament to his integrity that he wrote about it. There are many people, both gun writers and internet gurus, who if you believe everything that they write, have never missed a shot on game and all of their animals die within sight. I have been hunting long enough to know that that is the exception, not the rule.