In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 WSM vs. RUM

maschevymaschevy Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
Hi all. Wanted to know the advantages of either of these calibers. Im looking for an accurate long range rifle (over 600yds). Whats the real world difference between a Win Short Mag versus Rem Ultra Mag. I know the 300 RUM is becoming more popular in competition.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maschevy,

The 'advantage' of the .300 WSM is it can get equal velocities in the light and medium weight bullets that the .30 cal lineup offers as the .300 Win Mag.

The 'advantage' the .300 RUM offers is it can get more speed out of anything in .30 cal. But it does so at a high rate of recoil and a high rate of price for cartridges or powder, depending on whether you reload or not.

Either can be made to be very accurate in a rifle built purposefully for long range shooting. Both will cause a lot of recoil for the more sensitive needs of long range shooting. Therefore, I would recommend that you get a muzzle brake for the long range shooting. It takes the recoil out of it but adds backblast. The main reason I like my brake on my .300 WM is it allows me to stay on target while the bullet hits the target.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RUM can push much heavier projectiles, at faster speeds. Cases capacity +- 50% more powder. And push any weight faster than the WSM. How much more than 600? If you are going to be firing in competition, you may not be allowed to use a muzzle brake (as the guy next to you will have a hissy fit). If you do not load your own, better check $$$/round, RUM is a little on the pricey side. Barrel life is not going to be what you might call good, on the RUM! The shorter cart(300wsm), and shorter action, can be stiffer, and thus reducing one accuracy robbing problem.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As someone that owns, shoots, and reloads both, if I was to pick one ( I wouldn't- i would lie to the wife and buy both). but if that is not an option the quiestion you need to ask is if you plan on reloading, if not, do not even think about the RUM. The price of the u/m is out of control and wsm is still affordable without getting a part time job. I load IMR4350 in the u/m and get recoil of a 30-06 with .2 in groups. The beauty of this is with a standard full load I have a gun that can more than do any job I need. If you plan on shooting full power on the u/m most shooters find it uncomfortable after serval shots. The wsm in my tikka is a solid great shooter and not too picky with the loads I feed it. The wsm is easier on the shoulder and ammo is not only reasonable but if you are in the bush hunting I would think you would have an easier time finding factory loads for this verses the u/m ( not to mention the second mortage you will not have to take out). Buy em' both and take the month long yelling you will have to listen to!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maschevy,

We could use some more information about how you want to use either of these cartridges. Until then, here are some generalized comparisons.

The first part of this is that they are both .30 caliber cartridges.

The second part is that you can download the .300 RUM to the level of the .300 WSM but you can't upload the .300 WSM to achieve the performance of the .300 RUM. Remington has done this very thing by creating three different Power Levels (I, II, III) for the .300 RUM.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp

The problem with comparing cartridges such as this is that to get the most out of a case the size of the RUM, you really need to have longer barrels. When folks make statements about performance and they limit the barrel to 26", you aren't getting the most from the cartridge. Longer barrels also allow a greater selection of powders that can be used for reloading. Cases like the RUM really shine when they are reloaded with the heavier .30 caliber bullets.

As sandwarrior states, there is a price to be paid and it comes in the form of both recoil and expense. I happen to like the .300 and .338 RUM cartridges and I've devoted a great deal of time, energy and money to working with them. But to that same extent, I've worked with all of the WSM/RSAUM cartridges and they are just as good albeit slightly behind the RUM performance.

Here is a Ballistics chart from Remington comparing the two:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=PR300UM3*PRSC300WSMB"

Cartridge #8595; Bullet Weight #8595; Muzzle velocity #8595; Muzzle energy #8595;
    .300 WSM 200 2822 3538
    .300 RSAUM 200 2790 3458
    .300 Win Mag 200 2822 3538
    .300 Wby Mag 200 2987 3963
    .300 RUM 200 3154 4419

Here is a link for some ballistic charts for comparison:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

Best.

ADDED:

I forgot to put down that when heavier bullets are loaded in the .300 WSM, you will lose a significant amount of powder space if you are limited by the standard magazine length.

Best.