In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favorite Handgun (auto) powder and why?

jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
Hey guys,
I wanted to get a discussion going about semi-auto handgun reloading powders. What is you favorite handgun powder and why. This would be a good opportunity for us all to share some knowledge and maybe learn something from each other. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There is not one powder that is BEST for all pistol cartridges However UNIQUE is the closest thing to IT I personally have used over 100 pounds of BULLS-EYE powder in target Loads in 45acp because it shoots small groups and a 4.0 grains + or- per load it is Cheap. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    There is not one powder that is BEST for all pistol cartridges However UNIQUE is the closest thing to IT I personally have used over 100 pounds of BULLS-EYE powder in target Loads in 45acp because it shoots small groups and a 4.0 grains + or- per load it is Cheap. Hope this helps.

Although I have not used nearly as much powder as perry shooter, I concur.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of Red Dot and WW231. Similar burning rate as Unique or maybe between Unique and Bullseye. Any of these will make good target and plinking ammo. I load .380, 9mm Para, 9mm Largo, .357 Mag. Slower powders will get more performance out to the two bigger cases but for use at the range the fast powders are fine and cheaper per cartridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I first want to note the disclaimer that I have not used alot of powders. With that said, out of the powders I have tried I have really been impressed with Hogdgon's HS-6. What I have experienced is:

[:)] Good performance at lower charges.
    [:)] Good grouping and consistency (as far as I can tell with my sub-par shooting skills)
    [:)] Very controlled recoil
    [:)] No muzzle flash (noticalbe muzzle flash)

Based on these posts I might have to try some load using UNIQUE. I am also curious about Titegroup and a couple Vihtavuori powders.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue dot...Unique....WSL....Bullseye

So many calibers I cant pick just one powder.

The reason is usually a simple one. Its the one that shoots what your reloading the best! lol
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon "Titegroup" for several reasons. You can load almost every pistol caliber with it. It is cheaper per pound than most other powders I have seen. It is NOT position sensitive so you get better shot to shot consistancy even in larger cases. It meters well and it burns clean.

Titegroup is a great powder for target loads but is not really a performance load powder.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he said. +10 on TITEGROUP
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye,unique,accurate#5,#7
  • Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231 and Hodgen hp 38 (the same powder) will load almost all caliber of pistols, and H110 will get you the most out of Magnum calibers. Hows that for a short list?? worked for me for over 35 years.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Lots of Bullseye in my 45 acps, H110 & W296 in my 44mag, Unique, Blue Dot & Bullseye in the 38 Super - 38 specials & 357s, and Bullseye in the 44 specials. H110 in the 50AE,TrailBoss in most of the 45 Colts & Swiss FFF in the 1861.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated by many most use unique and bullseye. However there is one difference between the two. Bullseye is a lot cleaner to shot. You don't get all that black all over your hands like with unique. Also Unique is a flake powder and dosn't measure as easy as bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excellent information 44shotdoctor. Thank you.

quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    As stated by many most use unique and bullseye. However there is one difference between the two. Bullseye is a lot cleaner to shot. You don't get all that black all over your hands like with unique. Also Unique is a flake powder and dosn't measure as easy as bullseye.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like WSF for .45.

I've also loaded alot of Bullseye and Unique.