In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blue dot powder WARNING

dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
Just got this from Jerrys sports..
4.jpg
Don
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

Comments

• Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting. One of favorite 41 mag loads uses Blue Dot (but Hercules -- not Alliant). When Alliant took over, I purchased as sizeable supply of the Hercules powder. I first tried the Alliant powder & did not think that it was quite as accurate.

I have fired many many hundreds of these with no noticeable ill effects (in S&W revolvers). It was the most accurate load for my Smiths'. However, makes one stop & think. Is it possible that Alliant's powder is that much different from the old Hercules?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It sounds like Alliant Blue Dot must have a faster burn rate then the Hercules.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Dot has always been a tricky powder to load. I remember warnings ten to 15 years ago, to always work up your loads because the burning rate varied from lot to lot. This has not stopped me from loading it in my .38 Super. It is still one of my favorite magnum powders.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    It might be from the Bullseye powder in the Blue Dot canisters. Look at ATK website for more info.