In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what's your press of choice

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I called Lyman to get info on my favorite press -I have been using for serveral years ( bought it used, and even gave up my RCBS press after using it)an "all American" by Lyman. After asking for info the woman that answered said it was over 40 years old, and "if see more buy it for parts". Parts the things is bulit like a tank and almost weights as much. I guess the old saying that "they don't make them like that anymore" sure does come into play sometimes. I would not trade my press for any press on the market today reguardless of price.

Comments

• Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Been using my "All American" for about 35yrs now.Can't wear it out[:D][:D] For loading pistol ammo, I have two Dillon Square Deals.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Forster CoAx, RCBS RockChucker, and Dillon 550B. The CoAx is the easiest one to operate...especially because no shell holders to buy and the mechanical advantage is excellent.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I will be totally objective and stick to the presses I have owned, which are:

Lee Challenger
    Lee C frame
    Lee hand press
    Lee Pro 1000
    RCBS Rockchucker

Now of those I prefer the Rockchucker for rifle and the Pro 1000 for pistol. If I had to do it again for single stage I'd look really hard at the Lee Classic Cast and at one of the progressive machines from hornady or rcbs; Dillons are fine presses but overpriced imho.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    ONES I HAVE
    Lee Pro 1000 = B
    RCBS Rockchucker = A
    rcbs jr = A
    LEE load all = B-
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a

RCBS Rockchucker

Pacific 366

Hornady LnL progressive, that is absolutely impressive

I Sold my dillion square deal it was a good press too but would only load pistol ammo, the LnL will load everything up to 300 H&H mag and for the same money as a new square deal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    For Pistol loading NOTHING BEATS A STAR It is built like a tank and is OLD SCHOOL Progressive that all other newer presses used as a model but built cheaper. However Dillon has best customer service bar none. Rock Chucker for rifles
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I'll stick with my RCBS BIG MAX and my Sinclair Arbor press.......
  • Options
    CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Lee Pro 1000 for most of my high volume pistol. It is a finicky sucker to get set up..but once "on" it will cycle them as fast as I can put the bullets on the case. Lee doesn't have the alarms to tell you when you run out of something...cases, primers, powder...but once you develop a rythm you can really go to town.

I started with a simple Lee Single Stage and loaded tens of thousands of rounds thru it...just wanted to speed the process. I bought a Lee Turret and was NOT happy so I went to the Pro 1000.

I have heard great things about Dillon. And if you are only going to load one or a few cal's it sounds great. My problem was that I already had thousands wrapped up in Lee and even though the DIES interchange, it still is MUCH more expensive to change cal's on the Dillon. If I was starting I might go there however.

your choice.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single Stage: CH Tool and Die Heavy Weight Champion Press-Still available from CH Tool, built like they used to be built, as strong as they get!
    Progressive: Dillon 650 unless you load only one round, and lots of them then I'd go with the 1050, I've set up both many times. The 1050 is not the press for those loading many different rounds.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started out with an RCBS rockchucker, then graduated to a Dillon 450. I added a Dillon 550 to my table 5 or 6 years and two years ago bought a Hornady Lock and Load press. The Hornady progressive press is the absolute best, far and away better than the Dillon 550.
  • Options
    jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am fairly new to reloading, but I am using a Lee Classic Turret. I love it and love the price even more.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a dillon multi stage for hand gun and rcbs for rifle.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started out with an RCBS Reloader Special-5 here alittle over 3 years ago. Bought a used RCBS RockChucker II about 3 months later on Fleabay for $47/shipped in perfect condition. I have stuck with it ever since. I have been wanting to step into a progressive for my 38Spec., 45Auto, 45Colt, and 223Rem., but haven't yet. I don't think I'm ready for it yet and honestly I really haven't had the money or decided which progressive would be best for me. I will never give up my RC II though, I spend to much time and detal on my wide array of rifle cartridges to risk lack of tolerance control on a progressive. Call me *, but I don't see getting to the kernel of powder on charge weights and in the .0005" range on seating depth consistancy with a progrssive. IMHO, accuracy doesn't mean anything if it isn't repeatable![;)]
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently have the Hornady Pro-7, which has loaded about 30k. If I was to do it over again, I would seriously look at the Dillon 650...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herters C press for pistol; RCBS A2 "Big Max" for rifle and swaging.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 74cuda
    I currently have the Hornady Pro-7, which has loaded about 30k. If I was to do it over again, I would seriously look at the Dillon 650...

The Dillon 650 has a big problem with its primer feed station. Poor design.

If you are looking at the Dillon 650, I would tell you to go to the Hornady Lock & Load Progressive press. The Auto Indexing Mechanism is made out of steel, and not Plastic like the Dillon, the primer feed mechanism is similar to the Dillon 550, and much More dependable. The Hornady Lock & Load Press is simply a much better press then the Dillon 650.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dads old Herter Its built like a tank and a half, and it conjurs up memorys of my dad
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a rockchucker, a lyman tru line jr for pistol rounds, and a bair dont mess with shotguns yet.

dgac
  • Options
    dardascastbulletsdardascastbullets Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joes
    I called Lyman to get info on my favorite press -I have been using for serveral years ( bought it used, and even gave up my RCBS press after using it)an "all American" by Lyman. After asking for info the woman that answered said it was over 40 years old, and "if see more buy it for parts". Parts the things is bulit like a tank and almost weights as much. I guess the old saying that "they don't make them like that anymore" sure does come into play sometimes. I would not trade my press for any press on the market today reguardless of price.

Your point is shared by many others including myself.... I have owned a Hollywood, Bonanza, Lyman, RCBS A-2, Hornady, a Sinclair arbor press, and a Dillon 650. They all had special niches in my reloading room. I used the Hollywood for resizing 30-06 & .308 match brass from Perry (shot from the gas guns), the Bonanza for neck sizing for cast bullets, the Lyman for bullet pulling, the Hornandy for general stuff, The RCBS A-2 for .30 cal. bullet swaging, the Sinclair for serious bullet seating, and the Dillon for competition rifle rounds. Each and every press had a favorite function that I preferred to use it for. Usually, the first press that is purchased becomes the favorite press.

Matt
  • Options
    mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what does everyone think about a redding big boss 2. the only reason that i ask is that i need a press that will take the 1.25x12 an 7/8x14 dies