In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need some info on 7.62x39 and 7.62x39mm

Anyone come across this caliber that has lg. and sm. primer pockets.

been picking up brass for a little bit and thought i would load some up just to try different bullet wt, and found some cases marked 7.62x39mm.
all these have a small pocket. all the others are large anyone ever load this , would you have to use a hotter sm primer to lite it off?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll probably get it backwards, but IIRC Winchester made them with small primers, and Remington made them with large primers.
    Back when I was loading it, we'd buy our brass based on which type of primers we stocked IE the 223 guys would buy one type, the 308/30-06 would buy the other type.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester and Fiochi use large rifle primers. The other brands I've seen used small diameter primers.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mobuck, I kinda figgured I'd get it wrong. Oh well, it's been 15 years since I had anything to to with that cartridge.