In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 reload for semi auto

bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
I now have enough brass to start reloading for my bushmaster ar.
The other day I went to buy some of the components that I would need and the guy at the gun shop asked me what powder I was going to use. I told him and he made it clear that just because a powder is listed by a manufaturer, doesn't mean that it is for semi auto's. I don't really know the guy, but assume that there is some truth to what he is saying. So now I am at a standstill untill I can work out the powder question.
Does anyone know of a site that has data for semi auto's that is broken out from the rest or some other way of identifying what is best.
My rifle is a 16" with a 1:9 twist. I am going to start out with 55 grain bullets, but may eventually work up some other loads.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I don't know of any manual that just has semi-autos. I load 25gr. of 2230 or 26gr. of BL-C(2) with 55gr. bullets for my AR'S. They both have the burn rate that the military uses.
  • Options
    bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I guess that is a better question, what burn rate works best in the AR series?
    I didn't think that they had any charting for semi's or I would have come across it over the years.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 24 grains of H-335 with a 55 grain bullet. It is one of the best if not the best powder made for the 223. It also feeds very smoothly & consistantly since its a ball powder. As for the burn rate. On hodgdon's list it rates as number 66 of 117 powders compared. So its right in the middle area in speed of burn. You wont be unhappy with H 335's results. I havent met anyone who didnt like it yet.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newest Sierra manual has a lot of loads just for gas guns in .223. What the fellow meant was true, you should approximate the burn rate of a powder that was originally in the cartridge.This keeps the pressure curve where it is supposed to be and cycles the action with the least amount of stress on the firearm. Sierra makes this clear.
    That said - I like ACCURATE brand powder, specifically 2230, which is tailored specifically for the 223 thru the 308 spectrum. It is cheap, meters like sand and is clean. 23.5 gr with a 55 gr FMJ in military cases is a great fun load. For commercial cases 24.5 is ok
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the AA2230. It meters excellent and seems as accurate as any other I've tried. I loaded quite a few military brass with the 25 grain load but found it to be a little hot in at least one AR I have. I've since dropped the charge to 24 grains for all the military brass.
  • Options
    SDeadeyeSDeadeye Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used H335 and BL-C(2) in all of my reloads, from 52 to 62 grain bullets. They've all worked perfectly and given me some very respectable results. My rifle is also a 16" 1x9 barrel.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used so many powders for 223 and all typical, 335, 748, BL-C-2, 2230 etc work just fine.

I have switched, however, to RamShot TAC.

It meters as well as any ball is very clean burning and for now cost less than the others.

I am guessing the recommendation is to stay away from slower powders????

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E. Stoner, specifically stated that his weapon should be loaded with extruded powder. Just a thought.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MEMPHISJOE
    E. Stoner, specifically stated that his weapon should be loaded with extruded powder. Just a thought.

I just pulled a 62gr green tip cartridge from LC apart to see what the government is using

Looks just like H335