In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what to use to clean brass

what works the best to clean brass? a tumbler or to chemical clean. my tumbler finaly bit the big one so i was wondering weather or not to try the chemicals or buy a new one.

Comments

• PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience is that tumblers work much better than the standard chemical cleaners.
    Pete
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm starting to look at the ultra sonic cleaners. The tumblers do a good job but just don't ever get back to that new brass look. I personaly like my brass shiny not just clean.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ammonia water and or brass cleaner works pretty good so I have been told and not near as messy as a tumbler
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I like tumbler with RICE it makes for a very nice slick finish on the Brass.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mix rice and crushed walnut shells from the pet dept at walmart
    cleans like a dream
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have both a tumbler and an ultrasonic. My experience is that the ultrasonic removes carbon from inside the case MUCH better, including the flashhole, but you can only do about 20-25 rifle cases at a time (and that's pushing it) with a 1.8 quart model. Obviously more if you get bigger, but that's just a reference. On the other hand the tumbler does a much better job of shining up the cleaned brass; the ultrasonicly cleaned brass quickly tarnishes (though that would also depend on your cleaning solution).
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I like the ultra sonic for all my brass cleaning, and using Citronox it comes out really clean, and shiny too... insides and out... 1 tbs per gallon of hot water for 15 minutes and its done...
    I would never go back to a tumbler unless I was shining rocks.......