In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 Loads tumbling

taracer21taracer21 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I loaded some 53 gr Hornady match bullets to minimum specs according to the hornady book. I loaded them with 24.1 gr of IMR 4895 and a OCL of 2.230. The bullets grouped well but appeared to be leaving a big hole in the paper. Should I load them shorter or hotter? Thanks Gary

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    describe "big hole". Does that mean one large oblong group for several shots, or holes that look like a bullet hitting the target sideways??
  • Options
    taracer21taracer21 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the bullets are hitting sideways. Gary
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your bullets are not stabilizing.
    1. the twist is to slow for the grain your are shooting
    2. your loads are to hot, or to slow.

my best bet is the twist rate is not matched to the bullets
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What rifle and which bullets?
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The twist rate can't be wrong with that bullet. Maybe if it was a 70 gr + , with a 1/9 or 1/14, I would say ok it is possible. But a 53 gr bullet should stabilize even in a 1/7. I do not believe that you can over stabilize a bullet. But you can blow them up at ultra high velocities with a fast twist. My 2c.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I have had the same thing happen to me with Hornady v-max bullets.

Try a different lot of bullets. Also try some Sierra or Nosler match bullets.

[url]target002.jpg[/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Run them hotter, and see what happens. If you get to a few grains under max,.and it still happens,..you have an internal barrel issue.