In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

454 rifle loads

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
Just having an idea of obtaining a 454 rifle, as I have a Ruger Revolver in that caliber(see post on ask the experts). I have never reloaded so I am asking those with experience on the matter, what kind of ballitics do you think could be had with this cartridge in a rifle barrel. Any barrel length suggestions? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth fooling with. I would be deer hunting with it here in Indiana where a rifle of that caliber is legal. I believe I read somewhere that you can get 2200 fps from a 18" barrel with a factory load, but I do not remember the details on bullet weight or brand. I'm sure an experienced loader can get more, perhaps with a longer barrel and/or differnet powders???

Thanks.........Scout

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That would be a hell of a hammer on deer, and I would load it same as for the pistol and see what it shoots like.
    A 20-24 inch barrel would sure handle nice....
    No problems with rechambering a 45 Colt rifle barrel for it either...
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I previously owned a Browning single shot rifle in 454. Even with the hottest loads (the old Freedom factory loads 300 gr bullets -- which are a handful in a revolver), shooting the rifle was easy --- not loud & very little recoil. I did not chronograph the rifle so I cannot address the fps. My opinion is that I was not getting a lot more from it than the 7 1/2" FA revolver would do. I base this conclusion on the drop of the bullet fired at various ranges. I was unimpressed enough that I sold the rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wtroper. How long was the barrel on your rifle? What kind of range could you get out of it?

Now that I have ahold of this idea I'm thinking of a bolt action carbine. I can't build it this year (actually have it built)but it's just an idea anyway so I'm knocking it around. What action, rate of twist, length of barrel, would be best to get the most out of this cartridge. The magazine would need to be long enough to allow for the bullets to be set out a little if needed. A bolt action with the right magazine would allow a wider bullet selection. Build a rifle, learn to reload for it, see what I can do with it, it's something to do. I'm thinking bolt action for accuracy. It would make a nice woods gun, which is what I primarly hunt. I would want all the accuracy and range I could get (or afford).

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks..........Scout
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scouts - It has been about 10 yrs since I had the 454 rifle. I believe it had a 24" bbl. I actually shot it very little. It would have been good out to 150 yds or so (drop would have not caused one to miss a deer-sized animal). The ballistic coefficient on any pistol bullet is poor & the velocity that one will get from the 454-sized case will be slow when compared to most rifle cartridges. Thus, the trajectory of the projectile will more resemble a handgun (or blackpowder) firearm than a modern rifle.

At the time that I had that rifle, I was living on the plains in SE New Mexico. Jackrabbits, prairie dogs & coyotes were the primary targets. For shots at 100 yds or less, I preferred a 41 mag revolver. For shots more distant, the 454 rifle was not much better than the revolver. In addition, I was not overly impressed with the accuracy of the one that I had. Shooting over sandbags across the hood of the pickup, I could shoot groups almost as good with the FA 41 and 454 revolvers as I could with the 454 Browning. I will admit that I did not spend much time trying to find a load for the rifle. I simply shot the loads that I had developed for the revolver.

If you need a woods rifle for shots @150 yds or less, it might work for you. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wtrooper, Thanks for the information. I live in Indiana and we can't use high powered rifles to deer hunt. A new law was passed last year that allows us to use rifles with pistol cartridges within specific paramaters, the 454 fits on the upper end, the 460 S&W is to long, the 500 S&W is legal. That's why I am interested in the 454, there is no real advantage over the sabot shotgun slugs we use now, except the slugs are now $3 a shot. Of course I could buy a lot of slugs for the price of a new rifle (LOL) , not the point. We can also use the Savage muzzle loader with smokeless powder which can acheive very good ballistics (it's on my wish list also). The funny thing is we can use handguns with high power cartridges and I have a perfectly legal encore in 270, go figure. So this is just a fancy of mine and I am obtaining information before going ahead.

Thanks again...........Scout