In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 Reduced Noise - Power - Loads

rfinsrfins Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I have been reading about some 223 reduced loads using Blue Dot Powder.....

I was thinking about buying a 22 Hornet or a 22 Mag rimfire.....looking for something with a little more power than a 22 LR but not as loud or powerful as my 223......... wanting something to shoot pest in a rural but little more populated area.

Then I read about using the 223 with low power loads 1200 -1800 fps with a 40-45gr bullet, 8 - 12 grains Blue Dot.

Has anyone tried any of these lower power low noise loads?
Any other powders would you recommend?.....perhaps a lttle slower burning powder?

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon had and probably still does have youth loads listed. They use as little as 60 percent of the recommended load of H4895. This is the only powder I know you can do this with. Maybe someone will give you a pistol powder load, but I don't have any of those.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That H2895 is some real hot powder. I think Blue Dot got some bad press a little while back so you might want to recheck it.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well depending on what you are shooting can make a huge difference too. I know my 24" bbl AR is way quieter then my 16" AR's.

There are subsonic loads too that will be quieter but I do not know what they use to load them yet. I will be working on it this fall when I get my suppressor in for it.
  • Options
    pbdavepbdave Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to try TRAIL BOSS in 223 reduced loads.
  • Options
    groundhogguygroundhogguy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's 2 that I use, both with Hornady 55gr SP and CCI magnum primer. 9 gr of Blue Dot for about 1800 fps in 16" AR; 11.5 gr of Accurate Arms 5744 for 1725 fps in the same rifle. The 5744 load maintains enough port pressure to cycle the action if you remove the weight from the buffer & clip a few coils from the recoil spring. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by groundhogguy
    Here's 2 that I use, both with Hornady 55gr SP and CCI magnum primer. 9 gr of Blue Dot for about 1800 fps in 16" AR; 11.5 gr of Accurate Arms 5744 for 1725 fps in the same rifle. The 5744 load maintains enough port pressure to cycle the action if you remove the weight from the buffer & clip a few coils from the recoil spring. Hope this helps.

I'll be using this in a bolt action rifle.....so I'm not worried about cycling an action.....just wanting something with more power than a 22LR but less than my 223.
    I plan on using a 45gr bullet....somewhere around 1500- 1800 fps.
  • Options
    groundhogguygroundhogguy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that case use the Blue Dot, I'd say stay between 7 to 9 gr., much more quiet. Fellow by the name of Calhoun has some info on the internet.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded 100's of rounds of a sub load 13.5 GR of 4227 with 55 FMJ Bullet, Mil Cases, CCI primers. The load is too light to cycle my AR15 but seems reasonbly accurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by groundhogguy
    In that case use the Blue Dot, I'd say stay between 7 to 9 gr., much more quiet. Fellow by the name of Calhoun has some info on the internet.

I just tried a few loads today....I used a 45 grain bullet in two different loads ...7.5 grains Blue Dot ....and 9.5 grains Blue Dot.

I was disapointed with the accuracy....I just wonder if a little more powder (10.5 gr) pushing the bullet a little faster would help ....or to go with a differnet powder?