In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hot Loads for 45Colt in rifle?

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
I am considering loading some HOT loads in my 45Colt Win. 94AE. I will be using Hornady's 250gr XTP and most likely H110 as a powder. The load data I have found for this combo comes from IMR's site and start data is recommended at 25.7grs of H110. I had planned to reduce by about 20% or to about 20 to 21grs. My question is has anyone on here tried this load? Do you have any suggestions? My other question is how much velocity increase should I look for with an extra 8.5" on my barrel length? The published data is from a 7.5" pistol barrel so I would assume that there would be an increase due to added barrel length and lack of cylinder gap. Any info and suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Jeremy

EDIT: I normally wouldn't reduce a load by 20%, but I had found some load data with start loads in this range, damn thing is I can't find them again(yet). I also feel comfortable with the 20% reduction in this case because of how overly charged it already is from "normal" data. But thanks for the concern dcs shooter, nice to know people still look out for each other.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I loaded a lot of H-110 in 44mag. My books say NOT TO reduce by more that 10%. I used the same loads in my Marlin that I loaded for the Redhawk or Dan Wesson.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JT.... Hodgdon has clearly stated not to reduce H110 loads by more than 3%....

quote:From the Hodgdon website....

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil). H110 and Winchester 296 loads should not be reduced more than 3%.

Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks cubs, that is nice to know! That makes me weery about the load data that I found the other day. I haven't been able to find it again, since I searched atleast fifty different sources, but I'm not worried about it now. I am just going to start with the 25.7gr that the IMR website recommends.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE!

Well I finally got some time to sit down at the bench and the play with the 94. My start load was 23.7 gr H110, C.O.L 1.600". No signs of excessive pressure at all. I must say that the little rifle definately picked up some kick, shoulder a little soar after 15 rounds. Accuracy was quite impressive though, @50yds off-hand all three groups were under 2" with two pairs in the same hole. Can't wait to get it on the bench and adjust the sights so I can start doing some distance testing. Will update later with progress and issues if any.