In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first time actually working up a load...

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Within the next week I'll be heading to the range to test some loads I'll be putting together.

Is there a form or spreadsheet you use to track your results, or do you just shoot a target and write what it was you shot at it?

I'd like to do this pretty formally.

It won't be very complex. A couple types of powders in 3 or 4 different charges, one specific Nosler bullet, one specific primer, and two different cases.

advice...????
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do all my load work up at 50yds

usually I have 3 targets per piece of paper and below each I write what it is was that I shot at it

as seen below
    17rem.jpg
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you load 5 rounds of each set or more?
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually do five IMO 3 isn't enough

if I find a load that patterns really good like the center one did

then I will load 10 more and shoot 2, 5 shot groups @ 100yds to see if it was really what it looked like @50

It usually takes me 50 or so bullets before I have or haven't found the pet load for that particular gun. sometime 100 bullets and 2-3 powders I try to limit the powder to something that I already use in another gun

Oh and too the later

IMO primers are primers cases are cases

I use federal because they are colored and I can't get the magnums mixed with the regulars ect...

I use what ever I can get my hands on but then again I am not shooting comp. so whatever works for me
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do groups of 3, in 10 steps from Min-Max. Those that look promising get tried again in groups of 5 along with 5 shot groups at + & - 1/2 of the previous increment. IOW if the charge range is 86.0 to 96.0, I'll do 3 shot groups in 1.0gr increments, than let's say that 88.0 and 95.0 were the most promising, I'll do 5 shot groups at 87.5, 88.0, 88.5, 94.5, 95.0 and 95.5 grains
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not get good results by trying 3-4charges of different powders. I take 1 powder,...and run a load ladder with the bullet I have chosen. In a 222/223 size case,..I increase charges by .2gr each, in a 243-30-06 size case, I increase charges by .3gr and for magnums, I increase by .4-.5grs depending on size.

The targets will show you your load. Large, erratic, groups will let you know you are not in the harmonic node,..and as the groups tighten up with different powder charges, you will know you are closing in on "the load".
  • MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Sinclair load book to record shooting sessions, but the other posters all have good ways to keep track as well. I do think you are missing a major variable in the seating depth. I have seen as much variance when changing seating depths as changing bullets and powders. Also, I experienced a huge difference on one occasion when I tried a new primer brand. For what it's worth.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mtnlover
    I use a Sinclair load book to record shooting sessions, but the other posters all have good ways to keep track as well. I do think you are missing a major variable in the seating depth. I have seen as much variance when changing seating depths as changing bullets and powders. Also, I experienced a huge difference on one occasion when I tried a new primer brand. For what it's worth.

I do agree with you when it comes to centerfire bolt guns/single shots. I should have pointed out that it's a 44Mag lever gun. Do you think seating depths make enough of a difference with them? I know they must be short enough or they will not load. I'm not looking to find a load that stacks 10 rounds on each other (nor do I expect to do it), but one that groups reasonably well enough to hunt with at 100-125yds.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you won't see a lot of difference in a straight walled case. The shoulder angle on bottlenecked case makes for many more variables.

I still suggest you run a real load ladder,...which means you need a good 10 charges for each chambering. Pistol may be different even in a rifle.

When running a rifle load ladder,...I set the targets side by side,..across the target board. I shoot across the targets the first time,..using each charge for the first shot. I try not to shoot groups with each charge,....reason being is that as you shoot across the targets with different charges,..you have less "mental" distraction. When you get 4 rnds into a tight group,..it is only human nature to overthink the 5th round and blow it. By running the charges "round robin" you eliminate a lot of human error,...or I should say, more evenly disperse it across the data set.

100_0424.jpg

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/gottabepure/Loading pics/100_0423.jpg[/IMG]

100_0422.jpg

100_0421.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0417.jpg

as you can see,..the ladder clearly shows "the load". Do a search for Dan Newberry's round robin method. I find it better than the Creighton Audette method for stated reasons.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Just C. Those pictures really bring things into perspective!