In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

want to get ito reloading/handloading

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
First of all, which is the correct term, or are they both acceptable.

Second...I don't shoot often. I'd like to, but I don't have the time or money. Is it worth it to reload? Do I really save a significant amount of money? Even if I don't save that much (or maybe not at all?), I think I still want to do it in oder to give a hobby for my son to do with me. I think he'd like it.

Comments

• ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I load .223 Rem for $31 per 100 and could do it for $20 or less if I used cheaper bullets.

I get extremely accurate and consistent ammunition for less than what I can buy so called "match" ammo

I shoot about 1000-1500 rounds of .223 a year so I definitely benefit from reloading.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It's great fun. Savings occur after 1 to 10 boxes of ammo depending on caliber.
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll most likely stick to .308 Win and .38 Special.

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

A useful tool. Let's say you get your .308 brass free (already have it for instance.) That gives you- going with average price components- a cost per round of 35 to 40 cents. There are ways to be cheaper yet, we're just ballparking.

Or no more than $8 per box.

Now the only ammo I think you could get cheaper is Brown Bear non reloadable. Winchester starts around $12 per box.

Using bulk bullets, blem bullets, overruns, milsurps, lesser powder charges, or cast lead- even cheaper.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. If you don't count the "start-up" cost of buying a reloading kit, $8 for 20 .308 rounds sounds damn good. The cheapest I can find is at Wal Mart (like you said), about $12 for a box of Winchester.
  • popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to check out Midway USA and the Lee reloading products.

They are good quality and reasonably low priced compared to other manufacturer's equipment.

Yes, it will take you $200-$300 or so to get started, but then the savings will be significant.

And it IS a lot of fun too!

You and your son should enjoy it.

[:)]
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with lee kits to start. Stay away from the "C" frame press, the O frame is good, Classic cast even better.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I know this will get a argument started but I use RCBS and would recommend them to anyone I talk to.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=646599
    edited November -1
    I would certainly second RCBS and use them now myself. But for starters the Lee kit gets you everything you need at a great price.

However you go, start with a single stage press- leave the progressive for when you get a rhythm going on the single stage.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm happy with my lee kit I got. It's cheap and does just what I want. You may be able to find some good deals by checking out auctions. First things first get some books and read or find someone who will teach you. See if the library has any books. I liked the ABC's of reloading and the Lyman handbook. You may also want to look at http://www.wideners.com/ Very nice people and some good prices as well.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The FIRST and FOREMOST thing you need to start with is info! Before all the equipment, before all the components, you need manuals! The more the merrier! Certain manuals have better info on certain powders and bullets. Some have a wider array of info on certain calibers and go more into detail in the handloading process. When I started I borrowed an old manual from a buddy, matter of fact it was Speer's Volume# 11, and you older fellas know it has been around for awhiile, and I just read it over and over a couple times to get an idea of what all it entailed and learn some terminology. This also gave me a good idea with what equipment I needed to start out with for what I was wanting to do.

Second, Just cause it is cheap doesn't mean it is junk, and vice versa. I own presses and dies from RCBS, LEE, Lyman, Bair, L.E.C., Redding, Pacific Chrome, and Hornady. And I own alot of second hand equipment as well, the est way to save money when getting started!

A single stage is the only way to start! Yes it is slower this way and you have to separate your processes but it is much safer and a better learning experince for starting out in to this art.

IMHO, the only bare esentials are a press, dies, a good scale, and a good set of dial calipers. All the rest is optional, but esential for better ammunition.

Again, the thing I emphisize the most on is a large variety on manuals and books to refer to when you have a question, are puzzled, or what to try something different. And ask questions here too, I am sure with all of the members here, someone knows the answer or can find it for you.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Jeremy
  • torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My teen son and daughter love to help make their own deer ( just started that one) and woodchuck rounds. I use Lee products as I am on a tight budget and they work fine. It's worth the setup cost just to see the kids having fun together ( and with me!). The looks on their faces when they shoot a great group or, so far, woodchucks, with a round they made is priceless.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torquimata
    My teen son and daughter love to help make their own deer ( just started that one) and woodchuck rounds. I use Lee products as I am on a tight budget and they work fine. It's worth the setup cost just to see the kids having fun together ( and with me!). The looks on their faces when they shoot a great group or, so far, woodchucks, with a round they made is priceless.

I'd love to argue with you, but I have a feeling everyone would tell me, "Face it, you can't talk him out of anything!"

[;)][:D]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can spend as much or as little as you like- but DO get some good books first. Reloading equipment rarely wears out, shop carefully for used dies, etc, and save a few bucks. If I buy match grade .308 retail at local shop its about $32/ 20 rds. Load my own, about $9. My brass cleaner is a rock tumbler I got for a buck at local thrift shop. Picked up scale at clearance sale for half off- but also have a digital scale that costs me $12. Cannot seem to wear out 38 Sp brass when loading wadcutter. I use a single stage press, and get good ammo. OR- go buy the abolute max with every golly gee whiz attachment (I think I might need the CD player attachment for that auto-primer) and buy brand new at retail- and you will spend a LOT more money.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    callktulu,

If you do any amount of regular shooting, reloading is still the best way to save money. It has always been the best way to get the most accurate ammo.

As some have mentioned they cost about $30 or so for 100 shells of .223. I can load it for as cheap still as $18/100. I use those loads for running through my AR for training and plinking. But when I want super accurate loads I generally run in the $36 per 100. Still that is about $7 a box compared to close to $20 a box for "high quality" ammo. If you averaged a box a week then you would save about $730 in one year. Which is enough to buy quite a set-up. That is a fair amount of shooting but that's what you could save. I usually shoot about three times that in a year.
  • torizustorizus Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just started myself and picked up my press last week.
    Cabela's has a Rock Chucker Master Supreme kit on sale $269 w/$3.00 delivery. That and a tumbler,2 die sets,components for 100 rounds each of 38 and 45 colt,including powder-primers and topped it off with a RCBS digital scale costs me just under $500.
    I have ( I think) all I need to continue loading my 2 favorites
  • jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my best estimates I believe right now I am reloading .40S&W for about .12 - .14 cents a round. That is about 50% the costs of over the counter ammo (that I am comfortable using at least).

I am relatively new to reloading myself. I really do believe it is worth the savings in money. Just watch your upfront costs in equipment. You will recoup your initial investment quickly. Quicker if you dont "over spend". There is alot of extremely expensive presses and equipment out there and it is not necessarily needed. I did alot of upfront research and ended up going with Lee Press and Dies. I have been very happy with their equipment and happier with their prices.

All this said, you will find that it is still just plain fun to reload. Go for it.

J
    edited November -1
    I have a book, already, and of course I've started reading it. The problem is, I have very little idea of what it's talking about. I have a feeling if I go ahead a buy a kit, I'll have a better idea of what the book is telling me if I can hold the pieces in my hand.
  • jsurvantjsurvant Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did exactly that. One decision I am very glad I made was purchasing a turret style or progress press. I got a turret. It is extremely nice to only set up your dies once and not having to change them out. I also found loading video clips very helpful. Many manufacturers have a clip or two available on their website.

J
    edited November -1
    Cool, thanks![8D]