In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMR 4895 for 25-06

I dont have a manual that list the use of this powder for 25-06 but i did look on on Hogdons manual online and found it. It calls for loading 43 gr for a 100 gr bullet. My question is this, Do any of you have a manual that gives a high load and low load for this powder and bullet combo. Im trying to do some "ladder testing" and i need to know what parameters to stay within with this powder. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brickmaster1248,

From the Hodgdon Data Source website:

100 GR. NOS PART / IMR 4895 / .257" / 3.200" / 42.0 / 3009 / 46,000 CUP / 45.3 / 3155 / 50,400 CUP

Best.
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    great, thanks for the help!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't get top performance from the 2506 using IMR 4895. It is fine for moderate loads but a slower burning powder will give higher velocities. If, by chance, you wish to load some low recoil/performance ammo, 4895 is an excellent choice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    You won't get top performance from the 2506 using IMR 4895. It is fine for moderate loads but a slower burning powder will give higher velocities. If, by chance, you wish to load some low recoil/performance ammo, 4895 is an excellent choice.

What exactly do you mean by "Top performance". I am trying to work up the best possible load to shoot at 500 or more yards. I primarily load a 100gr hpbt match bullet.

What powders would you suggest for this? This is what i currently have.

Varget
    H4831
    IMR3031
    IMR4895
    IMR4350
  • Options
    Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brickmaster1248
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

What exactly do you mean by "Top performance". I am trying to work up the best possible load to shoot at 500 or more yards. I primarily load a 100gr hpbt match bullet.

What powders would you suggest for this? This is what i currently have.

Varget
    H4831
    IMR3031
    IMR4895
    IMR4350

Mix it all together and make a "hybrid" powder[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on the forums on company time are we?[:D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brickmaster1248,

I have no intention of speaking for another poster but IMR-4895 is not necessarily the best selection for 'the best possible load to shoot at 500 or more yards'. IMR-4895 is slightly faster than an optimum load for the 25-06 should be since the top end load is only filling about 80% of the case. Add to that, the load range is fairly narrow.

In my testing, better choices would be the IMR-4350 or H-4831. These two powders will fill the case better while operating at the same pressure as your IMR-4895 load. Filling the case as close to 100% while still operating efficiently is the goal of most accuracy shooters. A full case burns with more consistency. This is generally due to the repeatable position of the powder column.

There is nothing wrong with the 100 gr. Match HPBT but the better load could include the 115 gr. Berger Match VLD which will optimize your potential at +500 yds. with less drop and less drift while contributing greater energy at those distances. But that's why we test, to eliminate as many of the variables as possible.

Hodgdon's website has the Reloading Data Center that lists a series of loads for a particular cartridge and a range of bullets. You select 'rifle' or 'pistol' from the pull down menu and then select the cartridge from the menu next to it. You get a list of powder and bullet variables.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Best.