In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nosler E-Tip

HueyHuey Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Does anyone have recommended/performance loading data for a Nosler 150 grain E-Tip bullet?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huey,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

There are 2 different caliber 150 grain E-Tip bullets:

7mm (.284) 150 grain

.30 Cal. (.308) 150 grain

Please specify which one you're concerned with so that the members can lend a hand.

I've worked with the Barnes Tipped TSX and the MRX bullets which are similar except for the bands cut into the shank of the bullets. I haven't taken the time to work with the E-Tip yet although I'm sure the performance will comparable to the Barnes product since the concept is basically the same.

Best.
  • WoodrowUSMCWoodrowUSMC Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense for the welcome aboard. Requesting loading info for the .30 Cal, 150 E-Tip please. Will be used in a bolt action 30-06 for deer and pig hunting in the areas of California that have banned the use of lead bullets. Thanks again.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WoodrowUSMC,

That sounds like the popular set up for pigs and deer right now.

I have been looking for information about the E-Tip for a little while and I haven't found a great deal. So I called Nosler and had a brief discussion with them. Here's a quick synopsis:

They are longer than standard jacketed bullets due to the lighter weight material and the plastic tip being used.

They have a longer bearing surface than many jacketed bullets which increases pressure.

Like other mono-metallic bullets, they need to be seated OFF of the lands to keep the initial shot pressure under control.

Combining the longer length with the need to be seated off the lands, you lose powder space.

Nosler suggested that you can use their load data from their website but insisted that the middle load for all bullet weights needs to be the MAXIMUM load for the E-Tips.

It is supposed to be 1.285" in length.

It has a 0.469 BC. (computer derived)

I'm still finishing of some tests with Barnes and some imports so I'm going to be a little while until I can get to these.

Call Nosler if you get stuck.

Best.

ADDED:

OOPS! I forgot the link to Nosler:

http://www.nosler.com/?p=15&b=30cal&s=135

Best.
  • WoodrowUSMCWoodrowUSMC Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nnononsense...thank you again for the helpful information. You've given me enough for a good starting point for developing a load. Time to go to work and I'll post my results after I've done some testing...However, since I'm flying to Texas from California for Dove opener which starts September 1st, it's time for me to get ready for the trip. Thanks again.