In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 Nagant Revolver

jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
Looking for reloading data for the 7.62 Nagant revolver, using lead bullets....

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My best shooting load is a cast 94 gr .312" cast bullet in a 32 H&R magnum case with 3.5 gr of 231 powder and a CCI sp primer. This load hits to point of aim in my Nagant revolvers.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've used bullseye and red dot but with no great success stories. Could be my gun. [:D]

As a general rule, you can use .32 S&W long data with no worries as the Nagant cartridge is similar in dimensions (tad longer) and made to a higher pressure spec. You can work up a bit from there as well.
  • Options
    jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I've used bullseye and red dot but with no great success stories. Could be my gun. [:D]

As a general rule, you can use .32 S&W long data with no worries as the Nagant cartridge is similar in dimensions (tad longer) and made to a higher pressure spec. You can work up a bit from there as well.

When you say "no great success", is that accuracy?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, in terms of accuracy. But then, the trigger on these beasts is about as bad as I've ever encountered. For what it is worth, I have used about 3 grains of Bullseye with no issue and it is fairly mild.

You should probably slug your bore too. Original Nagant projectiles measure something like .306, yet I've seen bores (mine, 2 of my buddy's) that measured up to .314".

Consider too that the original brass is made to just enter the throat of the barrel. Standard brass- i.e. reformed 32-20, 32 H&R mag, etc., will function fine but you won't get that gas seal.