In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 EG practice ammo

bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
Anyone ever pulled the projo., tossed the powder and reloaded any of the East German practice ammo? The bullet is a copper plated steel jacket that had a plastic core that weighted 63 grains. It works well in AK rifles but is iffy functioning in SKS rifles.
I have an SKS and have been considering loading these cases with a standard load and bullet for it.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it really cost effective to do all that? A lot of european ammo is less than $200/1000 now and replacement bullets are over $10/100 and the cheapo powder will run 5 cents a round. I pulled some bullets from steel cased ammo once and when I reseated the bullets and crimped the case quite a few of them cracked at the neck or would not hold the bullet securely.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    True, it would probably cost as much to pull the bullet and reload, than buy a case or two of Wolf. I guess I'll either sell them or use them as short range rounds.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I have done what you asked about. The cases can be loaded just as any primed case would be. The powder is faster burning and I would not use it. As you know the bullet is a plastic core inside a steel jacket. Keep in mine that the cases have corrosive primers.