In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lanber shotguns

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
I have recently begun to enjoy shooting sporting clays and trap, but feel limited by having to use my rem 870 pump. I dont intend to go pro, but have had an interest in an o/u shotgun. Most are very expensive and out of my budget. I've heard lanber shotguns are a good buy but really dont know know much about them. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    made in spain

comparable to

baikal (russian) makers of Remington spartan
    Tristar (turkish) sold now at cabelas I think they are made by huglu???
    Kahn (turkish) Makers of the Mossberg SR OU
    Huglu (also turkish) Makers of CZ OU's

You will sacrifice some quality and a lot of fit and finish to a imported gun compared to saw a browning

IMO a Mossberg just might be what you are looking for and if you have time call kasey (know as Locust Fork) at her store and she can tell you what they are going for these days last I checked 700 could get you a 20-28ga combo
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dantheman,

My favorite all-around shotgun is my Rem. 870. I've used it for all types of hunting including switching to a slug barrel for deer. I also use it for my trap gun because I don't care how much the other guy's Superposed cost.

As for the Lanbar, I would just wait until you can afford a slightly better grade of shotgun. The Lanbar is really at the lowest end of the scale. Put your change away, save the change back from some other purchases or don't buy as much stuff until you save the difference in the cost of a better shotgun.

SKB (Miroku) is a good choice for reasonably priced superposed shotguns. Look around and see what you can find for those that have been previously owned. There's no drawback to buying a used shotgun as long as it hasn't been abused and they are a better shotgun on the whole. Check as many of the used sites and Gunbroker Auctions of course.

Best.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    There's no drawback to buying a used shotgun as long as it hasn't been abused and they are a better shotgun on the whole.

There is a lot of truth in those words

I bought a red label for $800 used and it has had at least 10k put through since with no signs of breaking down or wearing out
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Lanber are very good, budget guns, no fancy engraving, they do the job & the sporter, multi choke will last years, consider a s/h one , something that had pigeon use ...its down to you !10/10 from here :)
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    skb isn't made buy Miroku, and Lanber ranks above the turks and russians. Tear one apart and look at the lack of parts inside, alot less stuff to break, and very easy to fix. Nice deep blueing, nice scroll engraving, and pretty wood. You might have trouble finding choke tubes though.
    edited November -1
    grizzclaw,

While there may be exceptions as there are to most statements, this certainly confirms my original statement.

As stated in the Standard Catalog of Firearms, 13th edition. "Miroku, B. C., is a Japanese company that not only markets under their own name, but has made firearms for Charles Daly, Browning, Winchester and SKB (Ithaca) and others".

As to the issue of quality, after having disassembled a couple of dozen of these, I no longer let them into my shop. But as a great man once stated, opinions vary and you are entitled to yours.

Best.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bluebook of Gun Values has some information under Miroku & Charles Daly, listed below as quoted. "Shotguns marked Miroku only without another trademark listing represent that period of manufacture before Miroku began manufacturing shotguns for other companies (i.e. Charles Daly, SKB, Browning, and others)". To the best of our knowledge, this information is correct EXCEPT for the SKB, as they have their own plant. As stated in the Standard Catalog of Firearms, 13th edition. "Miroku, B. C., is a Japanese company that not only markets under their own name, but has made firearms for Charles Daly, Browning, Winchester and SKB (Ithaca) and others". This is partly correct, but the Winchester 101 & 96 O/U & Weatherby Olympian O/U were made by Nikko, while SKB made their own & O/Us for Ithaca at one time. You tell me who is correct. I guess you can't always believe what you read.
    edited November -1
    grizzclaw,

As I've stated before, gunmakers are the worst record keepers on Earth which never ceases to surprise me. There is so much confusing information out there that we sometimes have to call it a draw since the proof of a statement might cost a significant amount of time and money for what is seemingly an insignificant statement. Looking at all the cross-over lists for primary manufacturers is an example of problematic record keeping. It really only creates a problem though when someone wants to value an object for insurance or purchase reasons and needs to track down the origins of manufacture in order to assign a value.

Believe whatever you want but I owned a Miroku/SKB at one time so I'm convinced that it happened at least once...

Best.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my suggestion to be very cautious on anything that has Spain as an place of manufacture in the firearms line. They have some decent designs...except for Lanber, but their materials suck. As far as shotguns go, I believe that Lanber is the only one I know of that is mass produced that has lower quality then Mossberg.

As far as better quality than the Turks, or Russians...who ever made that statement better go back and do some homework