In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 70 in 270

jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
All

I've an early 1970s Model 70 chambered in 270 caliber. Anyone know what the twist rate on the barrel is and what weight of bullet it's best suited for?

I searched around here on the forumm, I can find this info for my M1A and AR15 but don't see anyone really addressing twist rates and weights when it comes to the 270.

Regards, John

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jcook01,

Your search was probably too specific. I've posted a complete list of Manufacturers twist rates on a couple of different occasions. Besides, if you can't find the information you can always use a cleaning rod and a tight patch to find out for yourself.

The M70 in .270 Win. used a 1:10" twist. This twist rate will stabilize all bullet LENGTHS from 0.585" (80 gr.) to 1.285" (165 gr.) at .270 Win. velocities. There are a couple of LONGER specialty bullets that can require a slightly tighter or faster twist but they aren't generally known so the standard twist with all normally available bullets will work just fine.

Best.
  • Options
    jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

With a 1:10, is there a theoretical sweet spot/weight? Time to do some more too specific searches. [:D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jcook01,

The harmonics of the particular load usually dictates the sweet spot. If you're headed for a search, you can plug in 'Ladder test' or just plain 'ladder' which should get you two of the testing procedures used by a lot of us to establish sweet spots or accuracy nodes.

Best.