In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Casting bullets?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
This will be my first attempt at casting bullets. I will be casting the Lee 1oz. sabot slugs. I have 3 questions.

1)Where is the best place to buy lead?

2)I was metal detecting back in the woods behind my house and found about 20 pounds of old lead. It could possibly be from the Civil War. It is very dirty, but seems to be pure lead. Can I melt this down and cast bullets with it?

3)Is there a release agent to use if using old wheel weights? I was told wheel weights will stick to the mold.

Any info much appreciated. Regards, Don

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use wheel weights and have no problem with sticking. I also use bullets picked up off the range. Any crud on the lead will float to the top and can be skimmed off easily. I have never bought lead as I have been lucky at getting wheel weights and lead from the collectors of an indoor range nearby.Hit up all the tire stores around you, I'm sure some will give you the old weights. The pure lead you found is only good for bullets for black powder unless you add to it,it is to soft to use for smokeless powder. Check out the cast boolits site also.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Plumbers used to use LEAD when they had Black CAST IRON drain pipes. I doubt that the lead you found was from the civil war " IF IT WAS I WOULD BE THERE " every day with my metal detector. I would think that with a sabot load Hardness of the SLUG would be a moot point I think any alloy or pure lead would work . Every thing for the most Part that is not lead will float to the top . when the lead melts and you can use a spoon to discard this trash. [:0][:0][:0][:0] BE AWARE do not drop anything in the hot liquid lead that may have even a tiny bit of moisture. one drop of water will turn into steam and blow the liquid lead into your face ALWAYS wear eye protection Long sleeve shirt and long pants . Melt lead and cast outside . do not eat or drink when around melted lead. Wash hands after you finish
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flux the mixture in the pot in you want other materials in the mixture. If you want pure lead which is very soft do as PERRY says.