In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Perry Shooter- Civil War Lead?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
Just a side note about the lead I found. I have some earthworks on the back of my property and I do a little metal detecting from time to time. The earthworks look like rifle pits to me. I have not found any minnie balls or ordnance of any kind. The lead is all around the earthworks about 6" deep. As far as I know, there never has been any houses or other structures back in the woods. I also find a lot of cut nails and the ground is very black in this area (from the fires to melt the lead I suppose)

The route of Lees retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox is very close to this site. I'd like to think they set up camp here for a short time and decided to cast some bullets on the way to Sailors Creek.

Who knows. [?][?]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    wow that is a great place to be able to metal detect When I was growing up in the 1950 I had a aunt that lived on a 400 acre farm that had the outer defence of Richmond running through it. This was before the days of private metal detectors that were what they are today. They sold the farm to REYNOLDS Metal in the late 1970's and built office buildings on the site I wonder what one could have found with the metal detectors of today.I was also playing as a kid in a Creek west of Richmond "SHORT PUMP" near where I lived MARSH land 3 of us found a tube with about a 4 inch bore about 6 foot long but could not get it out of the mud HURRICAINE HAZEL came through the next day and when the water went down we could not find the tube again [xx(][:(] Lead was of great value to the southern troops. I hope you find out what was at Your area. Cheers Karl.