In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

any good loads for a 375h&h

mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
just wondering if anyone has a good load out there for a 270 grain hornady speer point. have been using hornadys heavy magnum ammo an i cant even come close to it with the hotest loads that i can find in any of the manules. the rifle is a thompson pro hunter with a 26 inch barrel so the gun can take a pretty good pounding with out hurting it. the closest i have been able to come to the factory stuff is 2740 an the factory is 2890 an they are both accurate both 3 shot groups are handy to 1.5 inch at a hundred yards. well hopefully some one can help me out here.thanks

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudd_bogger,

You might have a hard time achieving that velocity with standard powders available to the general public.

Hornady uses a proprietary process and powders to achieve the velocities they state for the Heavy Magnum cartridges.

The loads you're using correlate to the sources that I use. Now that's not to say that someone won't come along to claim higher velocities. Some increase may be reasonable simply because barrels vary and some can be slower while others can be faster. I'd be happy with what you're getting and maybe work on the accuracy if you feel you could use some more.

Best.
  • BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check this website [url][/url]http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=375 HqqqH&Weight=All&type=Rifle&Order=Powder&Source=[url][/url]
    There are a lot of loads there. My personal opinion with the 150fps you are not able to attain...forget about it. I have shot all kinds of beasties with my old 375 and quite frankly a water buffalo cannot tell the difference when a 300gr copper solid smacks into him at 2740 fps or 2890 fps, they are not that mathematical! Do your homework, know where to shoot, then put that big bullet where its needed and you wont even be able to tell the difference in 150fps either!