In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Mini 6.8 SPC question

reelseriousreelserious Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I would like to get a Ruger in this caliber but I was wondering if any one has experience with this gun in this caliber. I am hoping it will shoot about a 2 MOA group in this caliber. I have heard some of the negative things about the 30 cal Ruger and just wondering if this is any better. Also if anyone knows where to get higher capacity mags for the 6.8 it would be appreciated. I like the scope mount and iron sight setup an these guns.

Comments

• Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out www.68forums.com there is alot of info over there on this caliber.
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting this. I just ordered a 6.8 spc from CMMG with an 18" barrel. Should arrive in 4 weeks.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.gunblast.com has a good report.
    My brother has one that he's pretty happy with but I don't know what he's getting for groups.
  • Options
    First On Race DayFirst On Race Day Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got rid of my mini30 and replaced it with the CZ-527 in the same caliber. Night and day difference. The mini-30 would group 5 inches consistently at 100 yds. The CZ-527 groups 1-2 inches consistently at 100 yds.
    I worked with 3 different powders, Speer and Hornady bullets, varied the COAL, and everything else I could think of and couldn't get the mini30 to group any tighter. The CZ groups give tight groups with everything I shoot through it.
    Best exchange I ever made.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reelserious,

You have two separate issues here. One, how is the round going to perform. And two how is the rifle going to perform.

The round itself is sort of a mid-performing round designed to step up energy downrange over the .223/5.56. It does that, but not spectacularly. The biggest problem I have with the round is no one makes a super high BC bullet for the caliber(although they do run in the 'naturally high BC' range). If there was a high BC bullet for the caliber you couldn't get it into most actions that are made for the 6.8 SPC. In a standard bolt action it's not a bad performing round. In a Ruger Mini- it will perform adequately for it's intended purpose. And that is to get more energy on target than the .223.

A lot of people's experience with the Ruger Mini- series rifles is that it isn't up to high accuracy standards. It boils down to what's acceptable. I've personally done okay with the ones I've shot for accuracy. But that means I had to accept a lower standard of accuracy that what I'm used to.

My bottom line is: it's something to own and shoot and have fun with. If you think this is a rifle that will take you to the 'next step' I think you would be mistaken. Who knows though, several years of development and the 6.8 may have a lot more options on the table.