In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

speer gold dots for hunting

mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
what does everyone think about the gold dots for a hunting round. Im using 200 grain xpb barnes with 46.5 grains of h110 powder. There in a 460 smith an wesson with a 8 3/8 barrel they work good but im just looking to try something different.

Comments

• wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only limited experience with them. Accuracy is superb in my 454. Used the 300 gr in my 454 last year on an Axis deer. Deer was 96 yds, quartering away. Bullet entered between last two ribs. I was attempting to aim at the offside shoulder. Bullet did not exit. One lung was completely eliminated, and the deer moved only 18 inches ---- straight down. Obviously, the bullet made it up into (and thru the vitals) and was effective in immediately anchoring the animal. However, I was a little disappointed that it did not exit. In my opinion, the jury is still out on the gold dot for my use. I am more comfortable with the XTP.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    +1 for the XTP, I've had great results with them.
    W.D.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the Gold Dot is more of a "personal defense" bullet, not intended as a hunting bullet. Whole lot better choices out there IMHO.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say the gold dot might be a little "soft" for the 460 compared to the barnes. I just inspected a 240 grain xtp bullet that had been fired from a muzzleloader w/sabot at about 1800 fps and struck a large buck whitetail slightly quartering to at 100 yards or so. Performance was good with classic mushroom, close to 100% weight retention, and stopped under the hide on the far side.DRT no trailing. Definitely going to use that combo again this year. I use the barnes expander in my .50 muzzleloader and in 20 guage and it is certainly deadly but also a stiffer bullet.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a new Speer bullet flyer today which does list some
    Gold-Dots as hunting bullets. The softpoints and heavier HP's are suggested.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read an article somewhere about the Speer Gold Dot SP and the author really spoke highly of them. I bought 2 boxes of them but haven't had the time to get any loaded. The article claimed H110 and 2400 gave the best performance. I don't remember the load but personally I think each gun has its own preference.
  • First On Race DayFirst On Race Day Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer also makes the Grand Slam bullet that performs beyond expectations in a hunting load. I don't know if they make one in the caliber you have but worth a gander.
  • BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried some gold dots in .40cal on hogs but was not at all impressed with them, too frangible. I know 40 is marginal to poor for hogs in the first place, but when loaded with some hornady xtp projectiles I had great luck with them.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Good enough for javelina out of my '94 trapper in 357, they drop those mini-hogs really fast and there's enough left for sausage.