In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 hornet - HELP

I have been reloading for a few years. I just started to reload for a 22 hornet. I want to start to work up a load for the rifle I just purchased. I have new remington brass. Its tumbled, sized, trimmed, chamfered, de-bured, and primed. Has been trimmed to 1.393, the bullet is a Sierra 45 grain soft point. The book says to seat to 1.720. I went over this several times to make sure I have not made a mistake. But, the bullet is way too far into the brass. The case mouth is not even touching the bullet since the bullet is seated so deep. Can anyone help me with this problem? I guess I'm lost. [:(]

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check your calipers. It sounds like the measuring device is not accurate. What is your case length? If you seat the bullet about one caliber diameter deep you should be able to chamber and shoot it. The max OAL is listed so you can still get the loaded rounds into a magazine. If you single feed the OAL may exceed the book. some rifles like the bullet touching the lands, some like up to .0020 jump.
  • Options
    savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just did it again, brass is 1.393, bullet is 45gr and .224 and is Sierra soft point. With it seated to spec. 1.720, the case mouth is not touching the bullet. Something just doesn't add up.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello what am I missing 1.720 - 1.393 = .323 of the bullet projecting out of the case mouth Diameter of bullet is .224 so bullet is more then one caliber sticking out of the case. BTW try some boat tail bullets when you get tired of messing up the mouth of case during bullet seating also try some small pistol primers I betyour group size will be smaller.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage204
    Just did it again, brass is 1.393, bullet is 45gr and .224 and is Sierra soft point. With it seated to spec. 1.720, the case mouth is not touching the bullet. Something just doesn't add up.

I would seat the bullet into the case about .220 deep and go from there.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I checked some new Winchester Western brass and it's only 1.336 long.
    Maybe yours are trimmed too long. That shorter length my solve your problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I checked Hornady, Speer, Siera books and they all say to trim to 1.393. The Nosler book does not show the trim to length.
    Have ya got any more ideas as to what might be wrong? I'm pulling out what hair I have left,,guess I'll start on the dog,,,,,LOL!!!!!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Have ya got any more ideas as to what might be wrong?"... you aren't doing any thing wrong except following the book per se. steat the bullets out to just short of the rifling for best accuracy.
  • Options
    jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use Sierra Bullets, but here are my dummies for 50grn Hornady (2240SX) @ 1.9085 and 50grn Nosler BT @ 1.992

w8t4w3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "Have ya got any more ideas as to what might be wrong?"... you aren't doing any thing wrong except following the book per se. steat the bullets out to just short of the rifling for best accuracy.

Hey Mike, I want one of those for shooting prairie dogs,,,LOL!!!! How do I know when the bullet is just short of the rifling? And, doesn't the amount of space left in the cartridge after you seat the bullet control the amount of pressure? Thanks for all the help, I've never had a problem with all the other reloading I've done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jma2006
    I don't use Sierra Bullets, but here are my dummies for 50grn Hornady (2240SX) @ 1.9085 and 50grn Nosler BT @ 1.992

w8t4w3.jpg

Hello JMA,,,are those 22 hornet rounds? if so, could you please send me the recipe for them? I'd like to give them a try. Thanks for the help.....Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mail Sent..............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I tried but it was returned, here it is, keep in mind that I use a single shot so I can seat the bullet so that it just touches the lands of the rifling. I used the Hornady info for both bullets. I used the IMR4227. Also I don't know if you are aware of this board, http://www.reloadbench.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi , the people on hear are very helpful...

2yy8hh4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I tried but it was returned, here it is, keep in mind that I use a single shot so I can seat the bullet so that it just touches the lands of the rifling. I used the Hornady info for both bullets. I used the IMR4227. Also I don't know if you are aware of this board, http://www.reloadbench.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi , the people on hear are very helpful...

2yy8hh4.jpg

Thanks a lot JMA, I do appreciate all you have done. I guess I'll just get some Hornady bullets and go from there,,,It sure has me baffled. If ya would like to email me sometime, my address is
    reloaderman@gmail.com Thanks again,,,,Joe
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    as for shooting prarie dogs, I tried that once down in Az., they have a park there now (Paramore crater)
  • Options
    BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a lot of trouble getting my lengths right using nosler ballistic tips in a CZ527 hornet, never seemed to be able to get them to work well. You might try some of the older style bullets and see if that helps you at all. I loved the performance i got out of the ballistic tips but I was having to feed them one at a time manually out of the CZ to get it to play nice with them.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 small pistol primers. Also a vote for Lil'Gun; i.e. higher velocities with lower pressure.
    What's the firearm? If a bolt action clip, I'd try loading about 1/16" short of what the mag will accept, and if it chambers easily (i.e. bullet now being forced into the lands) go from there.
    Good luck. Enjoy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    +1 small pistol primers. Also a vote for Lil'Gun; i.e. higher velocities with lower pressure.
    What's the firearm? If a bolt action clip, I'd try loading about 1/16" short of what the mag will accept, and if it chambers easily (i.e. bullet now being forced into the lands) go from there.
    Good luck. Enjoy

Rob,,,,the rifle is a Winchester 43 in 22 hornet and has a magazine that holds 3rds. I just tried a couple of Hornady 40 gr. v-max and kept seating them until I could get the bolt to close. The brass mouth is just at the edge where the bullet starts to taper of. The Hornady book says to seat to 1.810 and I had to seat them to 1.765. Do you think they will be OK? They fit in the mag. and cycle through
    the rifle,,,,thanks for the help Rob.,,,,,,,Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You didn't say how much Lil' Gun but assuming an appropriate amount your recipe for OAL sounds spot on. In my Kimber 82 and a Ruger 77/22 I've had VERY good luck with 11 grains of that powder, small pistol primers, and that 40 grain V-Max. Like the man always says, "your results may vary" but at least that tells you what neighborhood you should be in.
    Email me if you want and I'll double check my own OAL's. At the moment I just up to lock the cat in the basement so I can get another hours sleep!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good luck. Enjoy

Rob,,,,the rifle is a Winchester 43 in 22 hornet and has a magazine that holds 3rds. I just tried a couple of Hornady 40 gr. v-max and kept seating them until I could get the bolt to close. The brass mouth is just at the edge where the bullet starts to taper of. The Hornady book says to seat to 1.810 and I had to seat them to 1.765. Do you think they will be OK? They fit in the mag. and cycle through

I should Apologize because I should of copied the 1st page to the info I sent you from Hornady, The lengths on the info were set for a Ruger #3 Single Shot.

2d18m51.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good luck. Enjoy

I should Apologize because I should of copied the 1st page to the info I sent you from Hornady, The lengths on the info were set for a Ruger #3 Single Shot.

2d18m51.jpg

Thank you Sir,,,,so,,,what I'm doing is OK,,,is that correct?,,,Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joe,
    Seems so to me.
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is the information from "Sierra Bullets Reloading Manual" from 1985, The trim lenght and MAX. cartridge length are different from your info, hope this helps...

10pvce9.jpg
    2i96ot0.jpg
    epgbyq.jpg
    10wmblz.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joe,
    Seems so to me.
    Rob

Rob and JMA ,,,loaded some up last night. Gonna try and find time tomorrow to shoot some and see how they group. Have 5 rds of each charge to to see how they group. Thanks for time and info,,,,,Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joe,
    Seems so to me.
    Rob

Rob and JMA ,,,loaded some up last night. Gonna try and find time tomorrow to shoot some and see how they group. Have 5 rds of each charge to to see how they group. Thanks for time and info,,,,,Joe

Let us know....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joe,
    Seems so to me.
    Rob

Let us know....

Rob and JMA,,,The hornet cycled perfectly. I loaded IMR 4227, 5rds
    each of 10.2, 10.7, and 11.2 grain. Seated at 1.765 The best group was the 10.7 shot at 50yds. The scope has not been zeroed in yet.
    What do ya think? I tried to attached a pic of the target but it won't work ,,,,,,Joe

Check the target at[img][/img] http://profile.imageshack.us/user/savage204/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Couldn't access the pic, but it sounds like you're on you way and doing it right!. Congratulations!
    Enjoy!!
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a box of .22 hornets that I loaded a while back,The brass is new untrimmed and measures 1.403 the bullets are Sierra 45 gr. hollow points with a canalure.They are seated on the canalure overall length is 1.738.My rifle is a Stevens Springfield bolt action and I have no trouble with that load.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF
    I have a box of .22 hornets that I loaded a while back,The brass is new untrimmed and measures 1.403 the bullets are Sierra 45 gr. hollow points with a canalure.They are seated on the canalure overall length is 1.738.My rifle is a Stevens Springfield bolt action and I have no trouble with that load.[8D]

Thanks for the info ATF, I'll give that a try and see how they cycle. I
    do appreciate the the time spent checking that out.,,,,,,,,,Joe