In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dpms ap4 308

big kingbig king Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
has anyone had any luck with factory ammo ???
my dpms will NOT shot 150 gr hornady....or winchester
looking for advise on what factory ammo may shoot well.
should i jump up to a 170 gr or a 180 gr ?
was the gun made for heavy bullets?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big king,

Let's get the obvious question out of the way first.

What do you expect to use this rifle for? It makes a difference.

Without waiting for an exact answer, here are a couple of thoughts that you can use to start checking.

Each rifle is an individual and as such, needs to be tested for what type or style of ammunition that it prefers. Trying to use some other shooters findings rarely works in your favor since you still need to do the testing.

Inexpensive ammunition, although greatly desirable, does not necessarily perform up to our expectations or needs. Sometimes the more expensive ammunition will be the better selection that works in the long run.

Sometimes it's an outside variable that is controlling the accuracy of a particular rifle. These are the brief ones:

- Start with a clean barrel.

- Be sure to check the crown under magnification, looking for small defects that could affect the shot or groups.

- Examine your shooting set up to be sure that it is solid and repeatable.

- Check your scope, rings and mounts for accuracy, security and repeatability.

Your rifle has a 1:10" twist so it supposedly can handle all of the bullet weights (lengths) from 110 grains up to and including 220 grains.

Now, as far as the other brands or types of factory ammunition, you should consider trying the gold standard of .308 Win. accuracy, Federal Gold Medal Match. Most shooters use this ammunition as their benchmark against which to compare other brands and reloads. After FGMM, I think that Black Hills Ammunition has a couple of Match loads to try. Then if you really want to give the rifle a test, buy some Lapua Match for comparison. Be aware that all of these factory loads come in different bullet weights so you may have to get more than one box from each manufacturer.

I was testing an AR10T a few years ago and started with the 168 gr. Match load from Federal. This particular lot number of ammunition shot so accurately in this rifle that I bought the rifle and then bought 5 cases of that lot number of ammunition. This has never happened again, so don't expect it but do the testing and assessment.

Best.

ADDED:

I forgot to include this review article that discusses the accuracy:

http://www.nrapublications.org/TAR/PantherAP4.asp

Best.