In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting techniques advice

skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
I bought a Colt Gold Cup series 70 yesterday. I have been shooting my 70Govt model once in awhile before that. I wanted target sights so I bought the GC. I've been shooting since I was 12 for fun. Off and on. Me and a couple friends are starting to shoot every few weeks and I want to improve my ability a little . I'm not an expert by far, but I shoot good, I think lol.
Is there anything to read that would give me an insight into how the experts shoot? The correct way to shoot..

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with the NRA for some local clubs. Find the top NRA Bullseye shooters and ask for help. They will be very helpful in improving your scores. Getting a lot of GOOD practice after basic instruction will go a long way in you shooting better.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello BPost is correct I have records of every pistol shooter that ever went to Camp Perry for the national championships from 1972-2005 If you go to my profile and send ma an email I might be able to find a shooter that lives near you that could help I also might have an extra copy of the pistol marksman guide they give out at the 2 day small arms firing school at Camp Perry I run a Bulls-Eye match every Wednesday at noon and also do free one on one coaching. Cheers Karl AKA PERRY SHOOTER
  • skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the advice guys. It makes sense that someone that is shooting well (bullseye shooters) could give a practical advice.
    I guess the main thing is practice practice practice .
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'd invest in a decent 22 pistol and practice practice practice.
    edited November -1
    I think you are right iwanna, I have 2 excellent 22's already. I can practice with them for a period of time to get back close to the skill level that I use to have and then switch to the 45. The 22's are a lot cheaper to practice with.
    I live in the country so I can shoot in the backyard :o)
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skychaser53
    I think you are right iwanna, I have 2 excellent 22's already. I can practice with them for a period of time to get back close to the skill level that I use to have and then switch to the 45. The 22's are a lot cheaper to practice with.
    I live in the country so I can shoot in the backyard :o)

you'll want to run some 45's down range too

I shot 22 for almost 2 yrs before jumping into the CF and 45 match
    I was had an expert classification (with a 22) then shot my first CF and 45 match as and I had my clock cleaned I had to shoot expert as that is were I was rank by the nra with a 22
    edited November -1
    [quote
    you'll want to run some 45's down range too

I shot 22 for almost 2 yrs before jumping into the CF and 45 match
    I was had an expert classification (with a 22) then shot my first CF and 45 match as and I had my clock cleaned I had to shoot expert as that is were I was rank by the nra with a 22
    [/quote]

I'll definetly be shooting 45's too. :o) I want to get enough practice so that I can shoot my 70 Govt. as well as the Gold Cup. I know this can't happen overnight. A couple weeks anyway :o)
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gil Hebard Guns used to sell a paperback book (about 1/2" thick) that had a number of great articles by top competitive shooters. Covered techniques, equipment, etc. A real goldmine if you can find a copy.
    edited November -1
    thx rcrosby, I looked up and ordered an old book by Gil Hebard, it might be the one you were refering to. It can't hurt :o)
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA basic pistol shooting handbook is great for getting shooting tips.
    You could pick one up through someone that teaches the NRA Concealed carry class.