In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FL die adjustment

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
I've always adjusted my FL dies as instructed with the shellholder just below the die or used a neck only. Now, how can I adjust the FL die to just push the shoulder back a very small amount. I purchased a 270 wsm and would like to work the brass as little as possible and hopefully help accuracy.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old school way:
    With candle, lighter or match soot, or even a dry erase marker, color the neck and shoulder.
    Now, with your die raised up a turn (or 2), size a case (fired in your rifle) and note where the sizing stopped.
    Adjust your die down, a little at a time until your just touching the shoulder, and lock the die in place.

The "new" school way:
    Buy the "head & shoulders" tool from Sinclare, use it to "measure" your chamber and than use it to set your die to just push the shoulder back .001-.002.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Take the decapping pin out of your die now take the die and unscrew it one full turn Take 4 or five cases size them in your die then take them and try to load this empty case in your rifle . It most likely will result in the bolt being hard to close . Now slowly turn in the die a small amount and resize all rounds again then retest for bolt closing effort REPEAT as needed. When you get to the point that the bolt becomes easy to close STOP this is minimum amount of shoulder movement.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to "cam over" (term I learned on another forum) to get my bolt to close on my wsm and especially wssm.