In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

260 rem vs 6.5x55

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Looking at all reloading manuals the 260 beats the 6.5 hands down in velocity. But the 6.5 has a much lower max pressure and the case volume seems similiar to the 260. Does the 6.5x55 have the ability to do more, like the 257 Roberts +P, in a modern firearm or will the brass not take it.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am running a 6.5x55improved in a 600yd rifle. I can get 3000fps with a 140gr pill, but accuracy is around 2950ish. The answer is YES, the 6.5x55 will do anything the 260 does, in a MODERN action that will hold the pressures. I would give a slight edge to the 6.5x55 under that condition.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

The pressures listed for the 6.5x55 Swede are set low to insure the safe use in the older Swedish Mausers and Rolling Block rifles. The U.S. ammunition manufacturers subscribe to the concept of avoiding litigation by loading at the lowest pressure levels.

The 6.5x55 case is virtually the same as the .260 in capacity therefore it will perform the same when loaded to similar pressures. Lapua makes some excellent brass for the 6.5x55 and will handle the proper pressures so long as the chamber and bolt is up to the task.

I field a standard 6.5x55 chambered rifle for a couple of long range competition venues. It's easy to develop loads, there are lots of components to choose from and the selection of viable powders is good.

Best.
  • Options
    WayneShawWayneShaw Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I 100% agree with the 6.5x55 Swede, it's great. However, one word of caution: Lapua brass has a narrow extractor groove intended for a claw type extractor. My Remington wouldn't pull the brass properly, so I opened the groove up, and turned the head to .473 at the same time. The cases are .008" larger (from memory which is likely wrong) than a "standard" case.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of which, I have to load for my 'new to me' CG-63 (1904 action). Load pressures will be pretty tame. Certainly not what I run my CZ-550 to.