In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annealing Brass

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Here's my question. Where in the process of reloading should I anneal brass? Should I do it before or after I neck resize? Should I do it before or after I outside turn the case necks? I know I am getting way uneven neck tension, just by the way the handle of the reloading press feels when I seat the bullets, and I am getting about 1 flier out of every 4 rounds fired. Thanks Alot.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I anneal my cases before doing any work on them, so I'm starting them all at the same level, and rarely let them go more than 4 times before I do them again......
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you may only need to do so every few firings. This is really more of a competition process because a factory rifle will not see much benefit from it. A tight chamber and tight necked match barrel will show the difference.

side note: when Rich DeSimone set the IBS 1000yd world record, he was annealing every firing.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are getting 25% fliers, I doubt that your main problem is neck tension. I'd consider these questions among others: Are your bullets the correct diameter? Are they being seated straight? Is your bullet weight (length) too great for your barrel twist? Is the neck length consistent from case to case? Are you getting a varying amount of resize lube inside the case necks? There are more but these are a start.