In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on case size and resizing issues

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
I was reloading some rounds tonight and had something happen I never had happen before. First, my brass is once fired from my rifle, 25 wssm A-bolt. I full length resized all. Second, all the seating depths have been used before. My legnths are from the ogive, not the tip. 1.830 for Hrndy SST 1.820 for Speer 120gr BT. Depending on bullet thats .015-.030 from the lands. Again have shot this length before does not touch rifling. Well, the problem is on some more than others, the bolt has ressistance when I cam over, or lower the bolt handle down. NO marks on bullet, it looks like it is putting marks on the shoulder. I double checked bullet length several times. I had resized these months ago, I did put the FL sizer in the press and it did look as if the ring had moved and the die was up enough to see some air between the shell holder and bottom of the die. Didn't have feeler gauge with me but I would guess .015-.020. The once fired brass was various powder charges when fired, some starting loads others near(or at max), may that be the reason some are more difficult and others are not even a problem to chamber?

A little long, but thanks forany input.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If the die wasn't touching the shell holder, you are not setting the shoulder back enough. Basicly just neck sizing the brass.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The hot loads will be larger than the starting loads near the base, set you die up correctly and get back to shooting...... sometimes you don't need the press to cam over on the shell holder to full length size, it all depends on the chamber you have....