In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder for WSSM & WSM

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried Reloader 17 on their WSSM, it looks like it may be a powder to try in my 25 wssm. Also may be good for some of the WSM as well, it seems that the 270 WSM likes the slower powders a little more.

Comments

• Options
    MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had best performance so far with AA3100 in my 270WSM. RL-22 also looked promising.
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skyfish, My load for my 25wssm is 44.5 gr of W760, WLR primer and a Speer 120gr flat base spitzer. Or a Fed 215 primer with 44.2gr of W760. OAL is 2.275 in both loads. It shoots between 1" and 1.25" groups consistantly at 100 yards, in my rifle. Pretty good for a plastic stocked, pencil barrel M70 Super Shadow.

I think Sandwarrior has a 25 WSSM and has tried MANY different recipes for it. He'll probably be around shortly.

The WSSM Zone site is a good one. Some gun/reloading sites tend to be.......well.......a bit prejudiced against anything WSM/WSSM and very unfriendly about letting you know EXACTLY how worthless they think they are.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

For some reason I didn't get this posted last night. I was pretty tired.

What I have narrowed my target round down to is 44.5 gr. of H4350-X behind a Berger 115 VLD pushed .010" into the lands. Depending on temperature it's around 3050-3100 fps or just over. The target rifle is a 26" barreled Stealth II and the hunting load goes out around 2950 out of a Super Shadow with a 22" barrel.

Here's an older post detailing some more of what I've come up with:

{Same powder load for a 115 Partition or BT. 45 gr. for a 110 Accubond. 43 Gr. for a Sierra 120 and a 120 Partition.

The loads I use the most in my short barrel are VV N140. I used 46 gr. of VV N140 behind a 75 gr. V-max. That was before Hornady's 7th edition came out and shows a max of 45.1 with a velocity of 3550. I was only getting 3510. But still that is a smoking hot little round. I also used 44 gr. of H4895x behind that same bullet(and the Sierra for a velocity of 3475). I found a 100 gr. bullet in front of 41 gr. of VV N140 to be pretty hot in my rifle. Accuracy was better in front of only 40.0 gr. I worked up to 47.5 gr. of H4350x for a velocity of about 3072. My short barreled rifle has a twist of 1-10" but doesn't get really good accuracy with heavier bullets. It also has a thin profile. It just seemed to best with lighter bullets at moderate speeds.}

For the WSM's I've gone almost exclusively to H1000. I use longer barrels and heavier bullets in both. 67.5 gr. of H1000 behind a 168 Gr Berger VLD and Sierra 168 gr. Matchking for a velocity of 2850 in the 7mm WSM. I can't remember the loads right now but I push 180's out my 300 WSM @ 3000 fps. and 150's out at 3200 fps. Again find a starting load for H1000 or IMR7828 and work from there. I was using VVN165 and got very good accuracy but I wasn't getting the velocity needed. I went to H1000 before I tried VVN170 and had success with accuracy and velocity, so I didn't try the slower VVN170.

• Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I've settled on the IMR 4350 and the H4350 with the heavier bullets, mine is a short & thin barrelled 22" abolt. Enjoy hunting with it. Also have shot a few 87 grains bullets with IMR4320 that patterned very well.

I was asking about the Reloader 17 that was on their website, its a new powder and velocity seems to be better.

With the heavier bullets 117-120 grain, mosr patterns seem in the 1.00 - 1.40. I'd like to shrink them a bit. My longest shot on a deer has been 125 yards, so the pattern is plenty good for hunting. The group I shot with the 87 gr and IMR4320 was right at .75, and that was without fiddling with seating depth. Again, this is a hunting rifle only.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skyfish,

I haven't tried RE-17 as of yet. I can see a lot of need where it would fit into the rounds that I shoot. A couple things I will say about Reloader powders in general is that they have Nitro Glycerin in them to help boost pressures. One, if you shoot a lot then this can be detrimental to your barrel. Most people don't shoot near enough, even everyweek shooters such as myself, to erode a barrel past shootable limits. It's usually top end accuracy that suffers more quickly. The other thing I find with Nitro-powders is they tend to spike in pressures at the top end. Especially with sharp cased shoulders such as Ackley cases. Everything looks okay then as you reload the next batch you have 20 cases thrown away for loose primer pockets. Just be very careful at the top end when you see some pressure signs. In a standard shouldered 30-06 or .257 case though, I don't see it as bad.